1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Chicago II Steven Wilson Remix Coming

Name:  Chicago II.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  28.5 KB

It has just been announced that Steven Wilson has remixed Chicago's second album Chicago II, and the CD will be available after the first of the year. The former Porcupine Tree frontman has remixed some of Prog Rock's most iconic albums including those from Yes, Jethro Tull, and XTC.

Wilson goes back to the original source material, transfers the tapes to high resolution digital files, and then does a remix from the ground up. While this may sound like the same old thing that is said about all remixes, there's something different about how Wilson goes about it. I'm not sure what it is, but all of his remixes that I have heard are jaw-droppingly good.

Here's a bit of info from Chicago's website.

CHICAGO II has been remixed before, but never like this. For the first time, a stereo remix from the 16-track multi-track tapes made it possible for Steven Wilson to bring out elements that were muffled or submerged in the mix. The result is a new stereo version of CHICAGO II that boasts clearness, punch and definition that it didn’t have before.

Wilson explains: “Working with high-resolution 96K/24 bit digitally transferred files, I had every element from the recording sessions isolated, which meant I was able to rebuild the mix from the drums upwards, recreating as closely as I could the equalization, stereo placement, reverbs, other effects, and volume changes of each individual instrument or vocal — but at the same time looking to gain definition and clarity in the overall sound.”
    Chicago II was released in 1970. The album spawned several Top 10 Hits including “Make Me Smile” and “Colour My World,” as well as “25 or 6 to 4” which went to #4 on the charts.

Typically Wilson's remixes offer high resolution 5.1 and stereo mixes on Blu-ray. However, with Chicago II, it will be a stereo CD release. It seems a bit odd but you never know what all is involved especially since the album is owned by Warner Brothers.

The CD is to be released on January 27th, for $14.98 and a double-LP release for $31.98 later in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Name:  Chicago II.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  28.5 KB

It has just been announced that Steven Wilson has remixed Chicago's second album Chicago II, and the CD will be available after the first of the year. The former Porcupine Tree frontman has remixed some of Prog Rock's most iconic albums including those from Yes, Jethro Tull, and XTC.

Wilson goes back to the original source material, transfers the tapes to high resolution digital files, and then does a remix from the ground up. While this may sound like the same old thing that is said about all remixes, there's something different about how Wilson goes about it. I'm not sure what it is, but all of his remixes that I have heard are jaw-droppingly good.

Here's a bit of info from Chicago's website.

Chicago II was released in 1970. The album spawned several Top 10 Hits including “Make Me Smile” and “Colour My World,” as well as “25 or 6 to 4” which went to #4 on the charts.

Typically Wilson's remixes offer high resolution 5.1 and stereo mixes on Blu-ray. However, with Chicago II, it will be a stereo CD release. It seems a bit odd but you never know what all is involved especially since the album is owned by Warner Brothers.

The CD is to be released on January 27th, for $14.98 and a double-LP release for $31.98 later in 2017.
    I have been told on another forum that there will be a 96/24 download of this released (thank goodness!). The current hr versions sound good to me, but Wilson is the mixing/mastering GOD!
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

A 96/24 version would make the most sense, as it says he's starting with 96/24 files from the original 16-track master.

Keep us informed if you hear any new announcements. I'm wondering if he there will be a multi-channel Blu-ray release too.