1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Mozart Outsells Beyonce in 2016

Name:  B vs MZ.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  20.0 KB

It would seem that 2016 was the year of Beyonce as it seemed like she was always in the news. A new record, surprise single with video, Super Bowl performance, and a CMA appearance with the Dixie Chicks are just a few highlights for the performer.

WSBTV in Atlanta reports that Beyonce's smash album Lemonade, released in April, has sold about 1.05 million copies so far. That would surely be the most albums sold by an artist this year, right? Well, not this year. As of this post, the music of a dead guy has outsold Beyonce.

According to Universal Music Group Mozart 225: The New Complete Edition has sold about 1.25 million copies in just five weeks. Just released in late October, the Mozart title celebrates the 225th anniversary of his death. The boxed set has 200 CDs of the composer's work, played by 600 musicians.

Name:  mozart 225.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  8.1 KB

Here's the description from Amazon:

A New Complete Edition, presenting Mozart's entire work including every last fragment, in the most authoritative edition ever created.
    The Edition presents over 240 hours of music, 600 solo performers and ensembles including 60 orchestras and every significant Mozart interpreter of the past 30 years.

Five hours of new recordings have been commissioned for this Edition including premieres of previously-lost compositions and every perform-able fragment. Moreover, a further 25 CDs present key works in great alternative versions, while five more CDs present legendary and historic performances, making this Edition a document of the greatest Mozart performances as well as of his complete works.

Two handsome, lavishly illustrated hardcover books present documentation at a level of authority never before seen in any boxed set, with over 150,000 words in each language, written by one of the great Mozart scholars of our age, Professor Clifford Eisen.

Editorial is presented across two editions, one with English and French language, and the other with German and Japanese. Lending the Edition even more weight is the publication for the first time of a new Kochel guide presenting in short form the new Kochel catalogue developed over many years by the International Stiftung Mozarteum.

Four frame-able prints are included in every set, including a Mozart letter and a score.
    Richard or jerrich, are you guys planning on buy this one?

200 cd's. wow!
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Quote Originally Posted by TrippleJ View Post
    200 cd's. wow!
    Yea', that's a ton of music.

That's got to be expensive! Geezus.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    That's got to be expensive! Geezus.
    $338.78 currently. Somebody is buying them with 1.25 million sold since October.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Name:  B vs MZ.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  20.0 KB

It would seem that 2016 was the year of Beyonce as it seemed like she was always in the news. A new record, surprise single with video, Super Bowl performance, and a CMA appearance with the Dixie Chicks are just a few highlights for the performer.

WSBTV in Atlanta reports that Beyonce's smash album Lemonade, released in April, has sold about 1.05 million copies so far. That would surely be the most albums sold by an artist this year, right? Well, not this year. As of this post, the music of a dead guy has outsold Beyonce.

According to Universal Music Group Mozart 225: The New Complete Edition has sold about 1.25 million copies in just five weeks. Just released in late October, the Mozart title celebrates the 225th anniversary of his death. The boxed set has 200 CDs of the composer's work, played by 600 musicians.

Name:  mozart 225.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  8.1 KB

Here's the description from Amazon:

Richard or jerrich, are you guys planning on buy this one?
    Thanks Tracy for giving me something else to think about. At the current price it's too expensive for me to justify, maybe if Amazon drops the price. Only 6050 boxed sets have been sold. The 1.25 million CDs sold is really misleading.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by k0rww View Post
    Thanks Tracy for giving me something else to think about. At the current price it's too expensive for me to justify, maybe if Amazon drops the price. Only 6050 boxed sets have been sold. The 1.25 million CDs sold is really misleading.
    Where did you find the actual boxed set sales numbers? Just curious.

It's still a lot of Mozart. As for the price, I'm sure they will eventually hit the used market on Amazon.

This is awesome news. While only a moderate fan of Mozart, I DESPISE the public's taste these days in preferring "lowest common denominator music" (Beyonce is a great example of that, imo). This would seem to be a refutation of that.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Where did you find the actual boxed set sales numbers? Just curious.

It's still a lot of Mozart. As for the price, I'm sure they will eventually hit the used market on Amazon.
    I don't remember where I read that over 6000 box sets were sold. I just did the math: 1.25 million CDs divided by 200 CDs = 6250 Boxed Sets. The total sales was old data so the boxed sets would have increased, if anyone was counting.
    Richard