SVS 20-39 CS Plus-Thanks for all the Bass

Name:  svs.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  50.9 KB

Today marks a big move for me. I sold my old trusty SVS 20-39 CS Plus subwoofer.

I remember the old days of The Home Theater Spot. We were in part, a forum for SVS Subwoofers and where I first heard of the company. Those were the days before their sealed box subs. It was a time when SVS subs looked a bit like short, black, fuzzy water heaters but they packed a huge punch.

After the amp died in the Klipsch sub that I had at the time, I went looking for a replacement. The SVS CS was their non-powered line and it seemed like a good idea to have an external amp. So after doing some research on the forum, I bought a 20-39 CS Plus.

The 20-39 used a 12" driver in a 39" tall cylinder enclosure. The CS Plus model used a new updated driver that had increased extension and higher output over the original CS driver. It was a ported sub, three ports actually, that had a native tuning of 20Hz with all the ports open. If you blocked one of the ports with the included port plug, the tuning dropped to 16Hz with a bit less output. It was a very versatile design basically giving you the best of both a ported and sealed sub design, and the option to customize its performance to your taste.

As for an amp to drive the sub, I ran across an old 1980-ish, Carver M400 "Cube" amp. I first saw one of them when I was in high school at a local music shop. I had never seen anything so small capable of driving a huge pair of speakers so loudly, all without breaking a sweat. This two-channel amp delivers 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms and just under 400 watts per channel at 4 ohms. The true beauty of this amp besides its size and simple design was that it could be bridged mono and deliver just under 800 watts at 4 ohms. Yes, I had found my sub amp.

The SVS/Carver combo sat in the back corner of my main theater since the early 2000's, and never blinked at anything I threw at them. I really enjoyed that sub, and will always have great memories of it rattling the walls, ceiling, furniture, things upstairs......

So long old friend, thanks for all the Bass.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

On to bigger and better bass!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Del Colliano View Post
    On to bigger and better bass!!!
    The GoldenEar SuperSub X is certainly flatter in my room. I still have a bit of tweaking to do and I will post about it too.

Name:  SuperSub X Response.JPG
Views: 68
Size:  45.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    The GoldenEar SuperSub X is certainly flatter in my room. I still have a bit of tweaking to do and I will post about it too.

Name:  SuperSub X Response.JPG
Views: 68
Size:  45.4 KB
    What program are you using for your graphs and are you using any smoothing?
    Infinity Composition Prelude P-FR, Oveture 1 center, QPS -1 surround side and Presence Rear, Gekko 1821 NTX rear, Infinity P-QPS Front Presence
    Acoustic Elegance P1152 subs (x2) SVS 16-46 (x2) DCM Full Time passive subs - rear sides (x2) B&K Reference 200.7 power amp, Yamaha MX-830, Behringer NU4-6000, 6 core HTPC W/Blu-ray W/Jriver nVidia 1050gtx ti, AK4490EQ based Dac with Burson OpAmp upgrades , Silicondust HDHR3 Prime network CableCard Tuner, LG 55 inch LCD, Infocus 1080p DLP Projector

Quote Originally Posted by prerich View Post
    What program are you using for your graphs and are you using any smoothing?
    This is a graph that's generated by my Anthem AVM-60 preamp.

It takes and shows the raw measurements, then you have the option to apply the filters that ARC suggests, or tweak them a bit.

It's flatter than my SVS, but not as much output on the lowest octave. However, I'm experiencing an odd occurrence. When I run ARC, it says my sub level is too high. When I turn the subs gain down and re-run, everything is fine. But, when I watch a movie, the bass is extremely lacking and I have to dial it back up again.

I'm going to see if I can get a measurement with it at its present volume.