Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

@Tracy Rainwater: The big thing about building a NAS - keeping your drives cool. If you're not using all SSD, you're going to need a bigger case and some nice cooling on those drives. give them space as well. I currently don't use hard drive to boot, I boot from a 32GB thumb drive. Works perfectly, and I'm using Nas4Free as my OS.
    Infinity Composition Prelude P-FR L/R, Infinity Overture 1 center, Front hgts, and side surrounds, Infinity FPS-1000 Rear surround and rear hgt, Acoustic Elegance P1152 subs (x2) SVS 16-46 (x2), (x2) B&K Reference 200.7 power amp, Denon AVR X4300H, Yamaha MX-830, Behringer NU4-6000, 8 core HTPC W/Blu-ray W/Jriver nVidia 1060gtx 6gb,Hybrid tube DAC W/Burson Vivid, Silicondust HDHR3 Prime, TCL 4K 55 inch LCD, Vivitek HK2288 4K Projector

Quote Originally Posted by prerich View Post
    Which miniDSP unit are you going to use and which application? I would have loved to have gone the Dirac route, but too rich for me....for now. I went conservative and went with a 2x4 and 2x4 advanced plug-in. Worked great in my situation!
    I went with the 2x4 as well...basic one. I want to eventually try Dirac, but am waiting until they have a one box solution for Atmos.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I don't know about that...I used an old Core 2 duo and it worked just fine. I've since upgraded that to a quad core q9300 and I have the parts to upgrade that still to a i7 990x (extreme 6 core, 12 thread machine).
    I actually have what I think is a Core 2 Duo box. It was the last desktop that I bought for running Photoshop and Lightroom, before I went to a MacBook Pro. I actually still use it on occasion since it has all my scanner software (flatbed and film scanner), plugins, and such installed on it. It's a completely calibrated system start to finish and I hate to cannibalize it........just in case.

The older one is a Pentium D if memory serves. It's a big case, but I'm assuming the motherboard, memory (RDRAM), and processor is too slow. I remember being shocked at how expensive RDRAM was when I bought that computer. However, I was told it was the fastest available at the time, and I was all about speed. When you're batch processing a few hundred image files, time really is money.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    I went with the 2x4 as well...basic one. I want to eventually try Dirac, but am waiting until they have a one box solution for Atmos.
    Yeah, the Atmos solution (I believe using two DRC-88's with Dirac) is quite expensive and a big learning curb.
    Infinity Composition Prelude P-FR L/R, Infinity Overture 1 center, Front hgts, and side surrounds, Infinity FPS-1000 Rear surround and rear hgt, Acoustic Elegance P1152 subs (x2) SVS 16-46 (x2), (x2) B&K Reference 200.7 power amp, Denon AVR X4300H, Yamaha MX-830, Behringer NU4-6000, 8 core HTPC W/Blu-ray W/Jriver nVidia 1060gtx 6gb,Hybrid tube DAC W/Burson Vivid, Silicondust HDHR3 Prime, TCL 4K 55 inch LCD, Vivitek HK2288 4K Projector

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    I actually have what I think is a Core 2 Duo box. It was the last desktop that I bought for running Photoshop and Lightroom, before I went to a MacBook Pro. I actually still use it on occasion since it has all my scanner software (flatbed and film scanner), plugins, and such installed on it. It's a completely calibrated system start to finish and I hate to cannibalize it........just in case.

The older one is a Pentium D if memory serves. It's a big case, but I'm assuming the motherboard, memory (RDRAM), and processor is too slow. I remember being shocked at how expensive RDRAM was when I bought that computer. However, I was told it was the fastest available at the time, and I was all about speed. When you're batch processing a few hundred image files, time really is money.
    I wouldn't use anything below a Core 2 duo. How large of a NAS do you want to build?. I've helped a friend build his own NAS (its only about 7TB). Mine is 20 and I still have 10TB's of unused drives laying around if I want to start a new data pool.

If I use my i7 for my server (or transfer my AMD 6 core to my server and make the i7 my HTPC), you could have my old core 2 board...it has space for 5 sata drives (you dont need a CD rom drive in a NAS and I run my OS on a thumb drive to free up any sata drives for pools). You'd have to buy a separate cooler (keeping my 212 EVO).
    Last edited by prerich; 01-20-2017 at 11:19 AM.

@David Vaughn - Remember, if you're equalizing 4 subs - I think the advanced plug-in is required.

@David Vaughn - Remember, if you're equalizing 4 subs - I think the advanced plug-in is required.

Yes...I realize that.
    David Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Yes...I realize that.
    Figured you would

Never got a chance to get to work on the MiniDSP this weekend, but I did make my power cords. Here are some pics:

Parts:

Name:  Parts.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  73.5 KB

Finished Cord:

Name:  Finished.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  58.8 KB

I ended up doing 3.5 cords in total. I reused some older connectors to make a custom length power cable for my pre/pro as well as both my amps and also shortened the cable for my PF60 Surge Protector. Instead of using the excess cable from the PF6- (14 gauge), I ended up buying some 10/3 from Lowes for about $2 per foot (only needed 3.5 feet). It's pretty thick, but the rubber housing was still decently flexible. Sound wise, I notice no difference in sound quality, but at least I don't have tangles of cables bundled up behind my equipment now.
    David Vaughn

Custom length wiring is a worthy project too. The back of my AV cabinet is ridiculous.