Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Hi Tracy,
    Just came across this post and noticed you have a Technics TT. Awesome.
    I just purchased a Technics SL-D3. Been looking for a while and came across this unit unexpectedly.
    From everything I've read, it's a good unit that has no issues and sounds great. I'll be cleaning it up and hooking it up this weekend. Hopefully. What are your thoughts on the this SL-D3?
    What model is yours?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by vincentanthony View Post
    Hi Tracy,
    Just came across this post and noticed you have a Technics TT. Awesome.
    I just purchased a Technics SL-D3. Been looking for a while and came across this unit unexpectedly.
    From everything I've read, it's a good unit that has no issues and sounds great. I'll be cleaning it up and hooking it up this weekend. Hopefully. What are your thoughts on the this SL-D3?
    What model is yours?
    I don't have any hands-on experience with the SL-D3 but it comes from the same line as my SL-23, which I love.

Technics really didn't make a bad turntable that I can remember. Even their cheaper direct drive, straight tone arm tables were dead accurate. This is pretty unique as other manufacturers made good tables too, but couldn't seem to make good, cheap turntables. Technics called it "Quartz Lock" which had a quartz-based timing clock that insured that the direct drive motor always turned at the correct speed. These days there a lot of manufacturers making new turntables with largely unregulated DC motors. They are quiet but are sensitive to fluctuations in your AC power. Not surprisingly, they usually don't have strobes to show you if the speed is correct or not. However, many of them also sell "speed boxes" which is an external regulated power supply that you plug your turntable into to assure that the power stays constant.

Sounds like the bean counters got together with the engineering department.

You will have to post some photos and your impressions once you get it cleaned up.

Lots of good info you just gave me! Didn't know all that about the DC motors. Knew this had a DC motor, but not about the fluctuations. Great to know.
    Yes, really excited about finally having a Technics. I know the Technics 1200 has always been the Holy Grail of TT's for DJ's. At least that's what I've always known.
    As I get this going I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. I have a small collection of LP's, so I'll be gearing up to get more. Sounds like there are plenty of folks on this forum that have lots of LP's.
    Thanks and I'll post some pics soon.

Lots of good info you just gave me! Didn't know all that about the DC motors. Knew this had a DC motor, but not about the fluctuations. Great to know.
    Yes, really excited about finally having a Technics. I know the Technics 1200 has always been the Holy Grail of TT's for DJ's. At least that's what I've always known.
    As I get this going I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. I have a small collection of LP's, so I'll be gearing up to get more. Sounds like there are plenty of folks on this forum that have lots of LP's.
    Thanks and I'll post some pics soon.

The SL1200 and those in that series are indeed workhorses. They are a more durable build particularly the bearings in the direct drive system and tonearm. Those bearings make that line great for those who are going to play their turntables for countless hours.

For home use, the current market cost of the 1200 series is a bit of a turn off for me but it's a great table.

Just for clarification sake..........

All turntables that I know of use DC motors to spin the platter. The belt-driven tables have some type of basic power regulation to ensure stable voltage but the keep the circuit as simple as possible. To do this the Technics belt drive models use speed potentiometers to make fine adjustments to the platter's speed. As the belt stretches or if there are major AC voltage changes, you make speed adjustments as needed. I find that mine is stable after it spins up to speed.

The advantage here is that there is technically less vibration introduced by the motor since it is not directly connected to the spindle.

With direct drive the speed is always locked in. With Technics, they used the quartz lock clock that I described earlier. There is never a need to adjust speed but the drive system is directly connected to the spindle so there is some noise and vibration transferred to the system via the stylus.

I have both systems and see the advantages of both. I currently use the SL-23 which is belt driven but I don't have an issue using my Direct Drive table either. I prefer the SL-23 because I can use a standard 2" cartridge and I wanted to try out the Nagaoka MP-110 which I also love. My Direct Drive table uses the smaller P-Mount cartridge. I have an Ortofon OM5 which is decent for a P-Mount but I wanted a bit more flexibility in cartridge selection.

Okay, YOU know a heck of a lot of a lot !!
    Was actually just asking a friend if I need to adjust the pitch on each new album I play. His thoughts were NO.
    Is he correct?

As far as cartridges.....Do people like to upgrade and change out cartridges? And stylus? I'm pretty certain that this unit does not have the original cartridge and stylus. Do I want the original one on there if I can find? Or is it normal to "customize"?

Once set up, your Direct Drive table should require no adjustment. I don't think the SL-D3 is one of the Quartz Lock models, but it should be pretty accurate.

As far as cartridges..........Man, that's quite a highly debated subject. There are a ton of options out there in a wide range of prices.

A lot of the Technics models had Audio Technica cartridges which are great especially for the money. What does yours have on it? Starting off, as long as it is in good shape, I would see how it does.

Set up and alignment is very important. Maybe your friend can help make sure that it's set up properly.

Okay, thanks. I'll see how it plays from album to album before I touch anything.

Yes, I know that was a very broad question. There is a local, very reputable repair shop in town that said they would look at the cartridge and stylus for me. They also said, "if it's good, leave it." I'm not planning on dumping tons of money into this.

I actually think it is a Audio Technica cartridge on there now. Glad you pointed that out. It's just a different model. I can tell by the logo. And I found the original one by part number, so know what that looks like now.

Found the manual on Vinyl Engine.com Lots of info on there !! Great site. I should be able to adjust. Wanted your input about it though. So thank you again.

I'll try posting a picture this weekend.

Man.....this site has me hooked now on getting my systems up and running !!
    Thanks again for all the great information !