Any info or comments on Yamaha equalization (YPAO)

I have looked over the web for info about Yamaha's auto equalization electronics - but I all I found had to do reviewing and contrasting the results with an Audyssey setup.

I am looking for the "nut and bolts" behind the signal reading/processing how the system determines equalization levels in "one shot" and then offers no ability to sample and or measure the resulting adjustments.

For instance, if I could re-run the YPAO configuring process - in other word "re-test" for resonances or sound levels of an already equalized system - would not the suggested results be almost nil?

To put the question another way - "How does the YPAO know whether or not the speakers' actual audio response is in deed changing in attribute to the way the signal/frequency/sound pressure levels have been equalized?"

Inquiring minds want to know? So is it the listener who is left to confirm that the speakers have responded to equalization correctly? But without measuring?

Are you saying that you want a way to verify the before and after EQ results?

If so, Room EQ Wizzard should show you before and after room response curves. It's a free program, at least it used to be. You would need a mic or if you have one, the old standby Radio Shack sound level meter can be used in place of a dedicated mic.

Thanks - I'll download it and play around. I have a really "bad room" for listening - and the adjustments the YPAO produces are not consistent with what I know to be prudent speaker use.

For instance - the YPAO results suggest increasing the signal levels < +6db > centered at the 16kHz band - these are B&W bookshelf speakers and have very little response above 12kHz. What's the point?

By the way - can we all agree that - "If you are old enough to remember the Beatles - you probably can't hear much of anything over 12KHz...."

All room EQ programs strive to get the flattest response for your speakers, in your room. They take measurements and then using their acoustic super powers, make corrections in the signal being fed to the speakers.

All that being said, no EQ program that I know of has the profile of your speakers built into that equation. It could be that your speakers don't produce a certain frequency very well but the EQ program doesn't know that. It would naturally make adjustments to the EQ to flatten out the room response as best it can. It could very well be that you need that +6 boost around 16kHz whether you can hear it or not.

The fact that I can see the before and after EQ curves is one reason that I like Anthem's ARC software. However, you can use the Room EQ Wizzard to manually set your EQ to your liking.

Ok I guess I can understand what the program is trying to adjust. I just don't think that making an adjustment that large - 6db - can be done without causing other frequency distortions at lower levels.

Thanks.