Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why (Jerry) Won't Be Seduced by Alexa

Name:  Amazon Echo.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  14.2 KB

Do you use Amazon's Alexa in your home? My wife is enamored by it.

Maybe it's the novelty of it. She asks Alexa to play music from her favorite artists or playlists she's created, she checks the weather, uses the Echo as an alarm clock and to set reminders, and recently to control our HVAC system. I think it's a neat toy, but I can see where some may have concerns about privacy.

In Jerry's feature story on HomeTheaterReview, he's not integrating Alex or any other voice command system into his home for an unexpected reason, to protect him and his wife from non-stop kids programming.

Give it a read and let me know if you use, or would use, Alexa. If you wouldn't consider it, why not? I'm interested in hearing your point of view in regard to using voice command integration in your home.

Why I Won't Be Seduced by Alexa

I like Alexa. I get weather report and can listen to music fast.

I just say play RUSH and it plays RUSH music.

What more do you want?

Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

I really should take a look and see what all Alexa can do.

At some point, I may add some lighting controls.

OK Google
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by jerrich View Post
    OK Google
    JR
    Did you get the Google Home?

Quote Originally Posted by TrippleJ View Post
    I like Alexa. I get weather report and can listen to music fast.

I just say play RUSH and it plays RUSH music.

What more do you want?

Yeah, but can you choose the song? Or does it default to Tom Sawyer?
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

As a prime member, you are automatically a member of prime music and Rush is there with the below albums..

Name:  rush.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  102.3 KB

It will randomly play from the albums listed above.

Of course, you can request a song but it has to be from the albums above.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

TrippleJ, are you interfacing your Echo, or whichever product you have, with your AV system or are you using the built in speaker?

I'm wondering if I can easily send the audio to the AVR in the family room or to the pre/pro in the main theater. I haven't done the research.

I have the Amazon Echo and it is downstairs near the kitchen and the living room. I have no audio equipment or anything downstairs. Everything AV related is upstairs in the game room.

The Echo serves its purpose. I check for sports and weather updates. If someone wants to hear music, it does that as well. You can have it turn to a radio station as well since iHeart Radio and TuneIn are built in.

If you need a single-room streaming audio solution, Amazon Echo is it. It supports both WiFi (for Internet sources) and Bluetooth (for mobile device sources), smoothly.

The internal speakers are good. Not top notch but acceptable.

P.S. My kids love it since they ask Alexa for jokes and Alexa does give some corny jokes which they find hilarious. Me, not so much. lol.
    Last edited by TrippleJ; 03-17-2017 at 08:56 AM.
    Main:

Main:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast