Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Scott knows, he's The Geek.

I don't use any of these things for one reason--privacy. They are ALWAYS listening. If you have an Android phone and use the Google voice search (say OK Google), the microphone is always on listening to what you say. As a test, say, I'd really like to buy my wife "a new vacuum," I guarantee that within the next couple of days, you will see vacuum ads when you visit websites. We did a test in our home like this talking about things none of us would ever think of buying (with our phones nearby) and sure enough, we all started getting ads on websites with these crazy items!

What kills me, is people freak out about the government invading their privacy, yet they will let these companies do it without a second thought. As Tim Allen said recently, if the government drove around in a car with cameras on top taking pictures of everyone's houses and streets, there would be a revolution. But if you but emojies on it with a Google logo they will run out of their house to pose for the picture
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

No disrespect to anyone who uses, and likes, these types of things, but...

I don't think I could make this part of my life without feeling like a bit of a douchebag, honestly. Talking to a machine, etc. To me, it's the 21st century The Clapper.

But I'm old-school, so to each their own.

(However, I maintain my stance that Google, et al, is simply a Skynet-in-waiting. So when the machines rise up, then enslave or kill us, don't blame me.)
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    I don't use any of these things for one reason--privacy. They are ALWAYS listening. If you have an Android phone and use the Google voice search (say OK Google), the microphone is always on listening to what you say. As a test, say, I'd really like to buy my wife "a new vacuum," I guarantee that within the next couple of days, you will see vacuum ads when you visit websites. We did a test in our home like this talking about things none of us would ever think of buying (with our phones nearby) and sure enough, we all started getting ads on websites with these crazy items!

What kills me, is people freak out about the government invading their privacy, yet they will let these companies do it without a second thought. As Tim Allen said recently, if the government drove around in a car with cameras on top taking pictures of everyone's houses and streets, there would be a revolution. But if you but emojies on it with a Google logo they will run out of their house to pose for the picture
    ^^^^^^^^ THIS a billion times. Guess what? You can go online to your Google account and EVERY TIME you have asked Google something, it's been recorded, logged, and stored. You can listen to them all. I got shivers when I found that out. It's honestly scary to me.

And, as David says, it's recording BEFORE you say "OK Google". It's right there in the recordings. Always on, always listening, always watching.

Why? Because we gave them permission to. It's a slippery slope folks, and while I'm not a "chemtrails are poisoning us!" conspiracy theorist, there's no questioning that this amount of total control is happening, and will only get worse. The Wall*E world is coming.
    Last edited by Brandon Eberhart; 03-17-2017 at 09:35 PM.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

And don't forget microwaves are listening and watching as well!

But in all fairness, if folks want privacy, they shouldn't post in facebook and other social media (twitter, linkedin, google+, youtube, instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr, Vine, Snapshat, Reddit, Flickr, etc). People don't realize how much personal info they are posting everywhere..

I know people who are now off of all social media due to this (invasion of privacy).
    Last edited by TrippleJ; 03-18-2017 at 07:32 AM.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

In reality it's; Honey, take out the trash to which I reply....."yes dearest".

But now I have me my own electronic winch.

I can't resist the electronic winch. Alexa! Turn on the lights you winch! I'm a god.

I fully understand people's objection to such technology. However, I fully understand and accept the risks.

I don't post much on Facebook and certainly not personal matters. However, our family and friends are going to be the ones who spread personal info. For example, I don't have my birthday listed on Facebook, but my family always wishes me a Happy Birthday. So, now my birthday is out there "in the cloud". So, using Alexa for the local weather, play my favorite music, and to control my HVAC system seems like an acceptable risk.

Just don't keep it in the bedroom...TMI
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Just don't keep it in the bedroom...TMI
    Oops.

I think we are all probably sound quality snobs here aren't we? I don't play much music on the winch because it sounds like a friggen AM radio.

I did however make the winch sing happy birthday to my Granddaughter yesterday. That was not too bad.....