I just got the Marantz 7011

I just got the Marantz Sr 7011 receiver. It goes in my “smaller” room, with my Oppo 95 and LG55 OLED TV. This is no Sound and Vision review, I do not have the equipment, nor do put it through every pace.

It’s a long story but it replaces my Marantz 7009, which my brother gets and it offers me a few new features.

First off, Dolby Atmos, and the competing DTS system is included in the 7011 but would cost $200 to place in the 7009. Also, the 7011 is very much like a Sonos system with not just internet radio and services such as Pandora, but they are capable of building a wireless internet system. That is, you can buy speakers and, next month, a sound bar that can all be connected and all be controlled by a IOS or Android device.

Further, the 7011 has amps in it for a 9.2 system. Or in my case, a 7.1 system with a wired 2 speaker “Zone B” in the next room. The Zone B input may be different than the main zone.
    The video and the audio seem just a touch better than the 7009. But I’ll know a bit more in a few days. The IPad controls are MUCH better than the previous one and the menu settings are just about the same. Give me a month for a fuller update.

Knowing my room and the unit, I did not use their microphone and setup and used my own settings.
    So it gives me a bit more, it is a bit easier to use and my brother will be very happy.

Three important (to me) points:
    1. The NEW Marantz does not have the long menu of Surround Sound Modes to choose from on the remote or on the menu. It “recommends” what you should use and you choose those limited selections from a menu. I have a 6.1 system and it was difficult to find the right mode. And it CHANGES modes to match the program.
    2. I now have to reprogram the Logitech Universal remote. I hate doing that!
    3. The big deal is that AI used to be able to set up a system, alone, in a short time. This took three hours to take out the old and ring in the new. (And then a couple of hours going through the menu and such) For the hell of it I posted the rear of this monster and that of a simple old one. There is no going back and I would not want to. But we have created a monster.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Lefisc; 03-22-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

so u let the Marantz handle the video encoding? or just on anything less than BluRay?

not sure how everyone does it here, but i pass the video through the receiver and any inputs and let the tv handle the encoding.

So do I.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Congrats! New toy to enjoy!
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Congrats on the new addition. The SR-7009 was no slouch of an AVR. I'm sure your brother will be quite happy with it.

I really need to move my AV-7005 to a new home but not everyone is looking to go with separates.

As for reprogramming your Logitech, that thing is a breeze to reprogram. Try reprogramming a URC and let me know how you feel about the Logitech. I still don't have my URC 100% to my liking. As for taking five hours or more to set up, were you doing it blindfolded? What am I missing here?

Hi Tracy:

First, I do have a URC and, in some ways, I find it easier to program than the Logitech ONLY WHEN THE NEW UNIT IS UPDATED INTO THE URC. Otherwise it takes a long time.

Well, we had to take out the old unit and then attach everything to the new unit. The guy came at 10 Am and finished at 1 PM and we did check everything out before he left. Then, I sat for about an hour and went through the book and the menus to get everything correct. As I mentioned, it took time to figure out how to get the right surround in places. Then it took about 30 minutes to reprogram the Marantz into the Harmony with a few failures and reattempts.
    Last edited by Lefisc; 03-22-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

Barry,

Time to turn in your man card. You don't read the manual unless you aren't getting any audio...everyone knows that!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Barry, I didn't mean too sound critical about the time it took and I hope you didn't take it that way. I was wondering what was going on. My Marantz was literally 20 minutes and that's fighting with all the cables.

As for reading the manual, I actually cracked the manual for the ARC software on my new Anthem.

I didn't take it as critical at all. Please don;t forget I also was attaching and setting up a second zone.

I don't put in every detail, but we had a problem setting attaching the internet cable to the Marantz. It found the connection but would not, or could not, get the signal from my fairly new Verizon router. We called Verizon (waited about 20 minutes while we fiddled with other things) and they fixed the problem on their end. (They system needed a reboot). Then we download the update to the Marantz and could not use the unit for the 15 minutes it took. That sort of thing.

And I had to learn. On the old unit, on the Remote, I chose one of maybe 25 surround modes. Now I have to find, the "movie mode" button and then choose a mode from their on screen menu. That's why I had to look through the book, the menu and remote items were, in many cases, in new places.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

David and Tracy: before I turn in my MAN CARD let me tell you something I am very happy about...and it did take time!

I use HDMI inputs on the Marantz for Cable TV and Bu Ray, of course. But I also receive over the air stations using an HD Antenna* (which is great during cable failures) and Netflix, Amazon and other streaming services. With the latter (TV and Stream) I get the sound from my SMART TV (LG). When I used the coax cable from the TV to the receiver I only got stereo sound, not Dolby Digital. (Don;t ask me why). So I wanted to set up the ARC (Audio Return Channel) setting on both units.

It is damn confusing because the two units have different and even conflicting instruction books and writers. I figured out how to do it, earning back my man card. But I did figure it out and now I Dolby Digital coming through my TV. I( know we joke about this, but sometimes putting the pieces together on these things is tough and time consuming. And yes, I had to redo my Harmony remote again!re NOT allowed to give you local channels.

* A long time ago, if you had Direct TV they were not allowed to give you local stations, so you had to get an antenna and attach to the Direct TV box. I still have that antenna (but now use Verizon) so I attached it to my TV. I get about twenty-five stations on Long Island. I also have an FM antenna and that is connect also. Both antennas are old enough to vote..
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp