Lion (Blu-ray) review

Name:  lion.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  21.8 KB

Plot
    Based on a true story, Lion follows five-year-old Saroo who gets lost on a train traveling away from his home and family. Frightened and bewildered, he ends up thousands of miles away, in chaotic Kolkata. Somehow he survives living on the streets, escaping all sorts of terrors and close calls in the process, before ending up in an orphanage that is itself not exactly a safe haven. Eventually Saroo is adopted by an Australian couple and finds love and security as he grows up in Hobart. Later in life, he is hanging out with some Indian friends and he starts to remember his past and with these handful of memories, he sets out on a journey to find his lost family and return home.

My Thoughts
    I’ve now have seen eight of the nine Best Picture nominated films and while Heartbreak Ridge still is my first choice, this comes in a very close second—although this could change once I see Hidden Figures. The first act in this film is very emotional as you follow Saroo as he is separated from his family and it will break your heart. In a lot of ways, this is similar to the feelings I had while watching Moonlight. But unlike the eventual Best Picture winner, this film doesn’t have a political agenda that it’s trying to force down your throat, I found the second and third acts to be much more engaging and emotionally moving as you see Saroo struggle with his past and not wanting to be ungrateful to his adoptive parents.

The acting is phenomenal, especially from Sunny Pawar, who plays the young Saroo and Dev Patel, who plays him as a young adult. I also enjoyed the musical score and cinematography.

Blu-ray

Video 4.5/5 (AVC)

Audio 4.5/5 (DTS-MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• Deleted Scenes
    • Behind the Scenes Gallery
    • “Never Give Up” Performed by Sia – Offical Lyric Video
    • UV Digital Copy

Conclusion
    This is a fantastic film that will definitely bring a tear to your eye as Saroo struggles to find his family with almost impossible odds in front of him. Definitely check this one out. Highly recommended.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Thanks for the review. I heard a lot of good things but didn't have a chance to check it out. I don't like seeing sad movies and especially very emotional one's but will check this one out. I will bring some extra tissues..
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

While sad, the story is very compelling.
    David Vaughn

Greetings,

Thanks Dave. I couldn't agree more. We loved Lion..
    Regards,

Ralph C.Potts
    AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

This one sounds infinitely more interesting to me than Moonlight, but I haven't seen either film. It's also a plus that Sunny Pawar seems to have a great personality, based on interviews I've seen, and is super adorable. I bet it's easy to empathize with his character.

I will give it a rent. Thanks for the review.

it seemed that most of the nominees this year were not happy go lucky films.

i enjoyed lion a great deal as well. again, reality beats anything in fiction. these were literally impossible odds to overcome. Patel is fast becoming one of my favorite actors. best kidman has been in years!

while Lion was a good movie, i think Moonlight is at another level. not sure the agenda Moonlight had? must have missed it during the fantastic script, cinematograhy, score and directing.

Hardly anything beats a true story that is for sure.. Lot more emotion and pull for the audience.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Quote Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post
    it seemed that most of the nominees this year were not happy go lucky films.

i enjoyed lion a great deal as well. again, reality beats anything in fiction. these were literally impossible odds to overcome. Patel is fast becoming one of my favorite actors. best kidman has been in years!

while Lion was a good movie, i think Moonlight is at another level. not sure the agenda Moonlight had? must have missed it during the fantastic script, cinematograhy, score and directing.
    I found Moonlight to be predictable after the first act and it lost its emotional effect on me because of that, where Lion had me hooked throughout.

As for Patel, he already is one of my favorites.
    David Vaughn

Finally got a chance to see this movie. Saw it on Netflix.

Wow, this movie is very moving. I was also impressed with young Saroo. I am equally impressed that as an adult, he could remember things from his childhood. I barely remember last week, let along anything a few months back.. Wow.
    Last edited by TrippleJ; 07-15-2017 at 07:54 PM.
    Main:

Quote Originally Posted by TrippleJ View Post
    Finally got a chance to see this movie. Saw it on Netflix.

Wow, this movie is very moving. I was also impressed with young Saroo. I am equally impressed that as an adult, he could remember things from his childhood. I barely remember last week, let along anything a few months back.. Wow.
    Thanks for chiming in. I agree....remembering such specific things from my youth are very difficult!
    David Vaughn