Hidden Figures (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  hidden.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  35.5 KB

Plot
    Hidden Figures is the incredible untold story of Katherine G. Johnson (Taraji P. Henson), Dorothy Vaughan (Octavia Spencer) and Mary Jackson (Janelle Monáe)-brilliant African-American women working at NASA, who served as the brains behind one of the greatest operations in history: the launch of astronaut John Glenn into orbit, a stunning achievement that restored the nation's confidence, turned around the Space Race, and galvanized the world. The visionary trio crossed all gender and race lines to inspire generations to dream big.

My Thoughts
    Wow…what a great movie. As someone who has followed the space program for most of my life, I’m ashamed that I didn’t know about these fabulous women who were behind the scenes assisting our astronauts on their missions. To see the obstacles they faced and overcome is truly inspirational and shows how perseverance definitely pays off in the end.

The acting is phenomenal and to see that Taraji P. Henson didn’t get an Oscar nomination is frankly, criminal. She was fantastic. Furthermore, her costars were just as impressive, especially Octavia Spencer, who at least received an Oscar nomination. Furthermore, this is another film that I thought was loads better than eventual Oscar winner, Moonlight, which is much too depressing and has zero replay ability for me personally versus this, which I’ll definitely watch again in the future.

The A/V presentation is good, although I found the video encode to be a tad soft on occasion. The movie was shot on film and finished in 2K, then upscaled to 4K for the UHD and it does look a bit sharper, but overall it isn’t reference-quality. Both the Blu-ray and UHD have the same excellent DTS-HD MA 7.1 soundtrack that has copious amount of LFE when the rockets blast off into space and a catchy score.

4K UHD
    Video 8/10 (HEVC)
    Audio 9/10 (DTS-HD MA 7.1)

Blu-ray
    Video 4/5 (AVC)
    Audio 4.5/5 (DTS-HD MA 7.1)

Special Features
    · It All Adds Up – The Making of Hidden Figures
    · Deleted Scenes
    · Hidden Figures: Filming in Georgia
    · Audio Commentary
    · Gallery
    · Theatrical Trailer
    · UHD, Blu-ray, + UV Digital Copy

Conclusion
    This is an excellent film that I enjoyed thoroughly due to the likable characters, historical story, and the inspirational journey these three ladies led in their lives. Definitely a must see. Highly recommended.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Greetings,

Agreed on all counts Dave! Love this film when I saw it in the theater, and perhaps a bit more upon the second viewing, while reviewing at home. Great review..
    Regards,

Ralph C.Potts
    AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

David and Ralph,
    i am just enjoying my new 4k setup. I chose to get this movie on 4k on your recommendations. Boy, were are you right. This was an outstanding movie. The acting was superb it. The casting was perfect. And the message was fantastic.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Barry,

Glad you enjoyed it. Have you seen Hacksaw Ridge yet? If so, I'd like to hear how you'd compare the two. If not, get it!
    David Vaughn

David, To be honest, I don't see overly violent or gory movies. I have never seen Saving Private Ryan or many of the horror movies out there. In fact, I don't even watch medical TV shows.

i really don't care about people's political views, it never stopped me from seeing them in a movie. But what Gibson said is not really forgettable or even forgivable. He only kind of apologized when his movie came out but he never backed away from it, he only blamed the cop for recording him and said that enough time had passed.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

I understand Barry.
    David Vaughn

Almost done with the Academy Award nominees. Hidden Figures was excellent! Beautifully acted and written. The ladies were fantastic and Costner was good in his supporting role as well.

Watched this with my 12 year old, which turns into a history lesson, fine by me. to see the disappointed look in his eyes at the trials, obstacles and downright nastiness these ladies and so many had to go through not so long ago, truly pains and shames me. i m not a white american, but i am an american, so these lessons are valuable and the reminder of how people can stoop down to extremely low levels if things are ignored, is always good.

the only thing i found lacking was a great score. the choice to go with music from the era is fine in places, but this film deserved a great score.

David Vaughn