Les Parapluies de Cherbourg

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964) is a fascinating, simple, complex movie that is both haunting and unforgettable. But there are many people who will not like it. This is a movie that is completely in French with English subtitles. Also, it is a complete musical, and opera really, where there is just no dialogue but everything is said and song. And in colors. That's right, the color and cinematography are on essential part of the story. And thew music is wonderful.

It seems like a simple romantic story at the beginning. The movie is divided into three parts, the meeting, his departure and his return. In 1957, boy meets girl (Nino Castelnuovo (Guy) and Catherine Deneuve (Genevičve)) and they to live together forever. At this time, France was fighting a war in Algiers. The pair must separate as he goes into the army and it is what happened after that that gives the movie substance.

The movie is, at times, unrelentingly haunting, with the saddest happy ending I've ever seen… as the couple learn just how limited forever is.

Both the visuals at the audio have been restored over the years. While the movie has that technicolor aged look a bit it is still brightly colored. And the music is wonderful but of course not a modern recording. On a David V. scale I give both the audio and the video a 3.75 out of five.

Strong spoiler alert: I did not mind that the movie moves fast, perhaps a bit too fast. But Genevičve. quickly, within eight months, abandons her boyfriend for another man even though he did send letters to her. She did not reach out to his godmother for any more information and, my God, he was at war. At one point she said she cannot write him because she didn't know where he was and then later he discusses the letters he got from her. She never had the decency to write him and tell him what happened.
    In the end it seems that he has found happiness and maybe she has not. And that's probably something she brought upon herself.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Last edited by TrippleJ; 04-17-2017 at 05:57 AM.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

I would be so lost trying to watch this one. My brain has lost, and maybe never had, the ability to process the subtitles and still stay deeply into the story. Add in the operatic aspect and I would be lost. Given my Classical music background, I'm not aginst opera. I think it's simply too much for my brain to process.

I used to say that I have "too many irons in my fire", but I'm starting to think my fire is simply too small.

I do appreciate the review, Barry.

Tracy, I mentioned that the movie is not for everyone. But, it is so simple, and deliberately so, and so visual, it's not hard to follow. If it is ever on cable watch the first ten minutes and let me know what you think.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    Tracy, I mentioned that the movie is not for everyone. But, it is so simple, and deliberately so, and so visual, it's not hard to follow. If it is ever on cable watch the first ten minutes and let me know what you think.
    Will do, Barry. Thanks again for posting.