Split (Blu-ray) review

Name:  split.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  22.3 KB

Plot
    Though Kevin has revealed 23 personalities to his psychiatrist, there remains one still submerged who is set to materialize and dominate all the others. Compelled to abduct three teenage girls, Kevin reaches a war for survival among all of those contained within him—as well as everyone around him—as the walls between his compartments shatter apart.

My Thoughts
    It must be hard being M. Night Shyamalan. His trademark film, The Sixth Sense, was simply amazing and is something that I can watch over and over again and still be entertained. His next two efforts, Unbreakable and Signs are also very good, but not quite as good as his best, and then things started to fall apart with The Village, which started strong, but ultimately failed with its ending. After that, his movies essentially sucked, especially After Earth.

For most of this movie, I was thinking that it was on the level of his second tier of films but unfortunately, the third act falls of the rails and ultimately left me with an empty feeling. The first two acts are full of tension and intrigue though, which makes it worth watching at least once.

Blu-ray

Video 4.5/5 (AVC)

Audio 4.5/5 (DTS-MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• Alternate Ending
    • Deleted Scenes
    • The Making of Split
    • The Many Faces of James McAvoy
    • The Filmmaker’s Eye: M. Night Shyamalan
    • DVD + UV Digital Copy

Conclusion
    The best this movie has to offer comes in the first two acts and is where James McAvoy shines as the creepy lead character. His transition from one personality to the next is creepy and he deserves a lot of credit for his performance. Unfortunately, the ending is very weak and ultimately makes this fall into the “rental first” category.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Just watched this in the late hours last night, good time for a flick like this.

Like most, I wrote off Shylalmanan (er, sp?) after his downfall but was pleasantly surprised by this one. There are 3 to 4 (or even 5 depending on how you look at it) third act twists and one of them is really hard to swallow, if pretty cool. But then the "final" twist reframes it so that it actually *does* make sense given the new context that it adds.

Still, not an amazing film (and fyi I had The Sixth Sense spoiled for me so my fave Shylaman film is a different one, which I won't mention- those who've seen Split will understand) but plenty good.

Nice cinematography, too. Reminded me a lot of old Hitchcock, or actually Psycho II, which is neo-Hitchcock, I suppose? McAvoy is really, really good and his dance sequence is both hilarious and terrifying and was my fave moment of the film.

I've seen lots of praise for the female lead, but eh, her giant doe eyes and repertoire of 2-3 expressions didn't do much for me.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Having read anything on this page yet as i havent seen the film.

But, just announced:

Glass will be the sequel to Unbreakable that is related to Split released in 2019.

Makes me want to see this more now!

I didn't include any spoilers, but you will be hit with them soon enough in the media, don't want to say why exactly.

See it now if you don't want it ruined.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Man I wish I had seen this in the theater!

Spoilers below!!!

Unbreakable is not only my favorite M. Night film, it's my favorite super hero film.

Holy shit! What David found to unravel the film actually put the pieces together for what is to come. Glass. When I heard the Unbreakable score I literally sat on the edge of my seat and said "No way!?" Even though I knew about Glass, I couldn't believe it. Amazing! Sorry, the fanboy in me is giddy. Yes!
    Last edited by NoUDont; 06-11-2017 at 08:19 AM.

NUD...It had been so long since I'd seen Unbreakable, that I didn't put two and two together until I saw Willis at the end.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine