Marantz 7011, Oppo 205, LG OLED65C7P

Prologue:
    You don’t have to read this to find out how my 4K is going, you can go to the next post:

I have had several moments in time when I felt I had achieve what we now call home theatre. These are not the only moments, but the ones that stand out for me.

The first time is when, as a child, we moved from rural Tennessee to New York. In these black and days, with no cable, my father handed me the TV section and we went from 2 TV channels to 7. Wow! I thought, there will always be something on I wanted to see. (Well, I was wrong).

About 1960 my brother bought our first movie: Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.” This was a ten minute, black and white, silent film on 8mm film put out by Castle films. We saw it a thousand times. Who knew this would be the start of home theatre.

In 1985 I put my 17 inch TV, carefully, between my two speakers. I had just bought a Laser Disk player and I was going to feel like I was in a movie theatre. Well, not so much.

But in 1998, or so, I had a Mark Levenson PDSD, the new DVD and my first projection TV. Gosh, it did feel as if I was in a theatre, especially since the images were wide screen. Of course Blu Ray really added to the experience.
    Name:  IMG_1781.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  35.5 KB
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

So what’s new? 4K. But not in my projection room, there isn’t an affordable 4K projector out there yet.

Fort our smaller, and casual, upstairs, I just got the Marantz 7011, the Oppo 205 4k disk player and the LG OLED65C7P Televison. Wow, what an experience. It goes in the top ones I mentioned. First we are sitting closer to the Tv than the projector and we felt an unbelievable movie experience.

We get five TV inputs, here they are in order of quality.

1. The Oppo is just incredible. We saw Sully and LaLa Land in 4K and although it was not in 3D it almost felt that way. The colors, the blacks, and clarity we even better than the movie theatre. Honest. Just a surprising wow. Blue Rays (I put in Rogue One) also look great, really. Not quite a detailed and not quite the depth. Sound was very good on everything.
    2. Netflix 4K. We have seen BFG, Daredevil and Iron Fist. Incredible picture quality and sound.
    3. Broadcast TV. We were very impressed until we switched to the 4K pictures and saw better color and detail, and, of course, better sound. But we were surprised how good it looked.
    4. Verizon Cable. Almost as good as Broadcast TV with the exceptions of some stations not coming in as well as others. For examples, the Mets channel looked better than the Yankees.
    5. Last and least: Both on Cable and broadcast are these new “mini-channels” that show nothing but reruns from the 50s, 60s and 70s. (Bounce, Get, Decades, Heroes.) The larger screen does not help most of these shows especially the ones on tape. Some of the filmed ones, Andy Griffin, Mission Impossible, Mannix and the Untouchables, actually look good. Many others don’t.

I haven’t tweaked anything yet, but just enjoyed this experience.
    Last edited by Lefisc; 05-11-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Great historical write up of your path to home theater paradise..

It is an incredible journey that will always keep moving forward!

Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

It's great to read all the positive comments on your new gear. I hate it when you buy a piece of HT equipment and it doesn't live up to the hype. Clearly, this isn't the case here.

That new display dwarfs that stand you have it sitting on, or is it mounted to the wall? I would be nervous about walking past it.

Tracy, you caught something. The dealer told me when delivered a week ago not to worry it was good enough. BUT take a close look, there is no TV mount or feet or anyhting.. It is now mounted to the wall and is not resting on the stand at all. Ot was scary the other way.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

I didn't want your next post to be about how the cat knocked your new display off the stand.

You are so right.

these new sets are light and thin. Their pedestals should be longer and much wider.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp