Covering Thy Rear..........

The following is PSM's new boilerplate for older (not sure how old) masters. This was specifically cut & pasted from the new Heart - "Heart" First Capitol (80's) release:

" It may contain noise, distortion or other artifacts, and may also contain audio which is limited in bandwidth or dynamic range, due to the technology used at the time of its original creation. As such, it is offered as a high-resolution documentation of a historical release"

Ironically, it's the remasters that tend to have reduced DR; NOT the original cd or LP release!
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Well, it is true that the original master tapes had noise and less capacity for recording dynamic range than current digital technology. However, when someone screws around and purposefully limits dynamic range during mastering, it's a different story.

I bet they came up with that disclaimer based on your complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Well, it is true that the original master tapes had noise and less capacity for recording dynamic range than current digital technology. However, when someone screws around and purposefully limits dynamic range during mastering, it's a different story.

I bet they came up with that disclaimer based on your complaints.
    Sadly, you may be at least partially right! PSM was the only 1 of the big 3 who responded to me.

One idea I liked was the late Pono's review section. At least we could post if something was great, sucked, etc; & prospective purchasers saw it.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

So is Pono officially out of business? I know the last few times I went to the site, there was nothing for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    So is Pono officially out of business? I know the last few times I went to the site, there was nothing for sale.
    What NY has sent out by email is they intend to convert to Hi-res streaming (is that an oxymoron??).

IMO, he blew a huge opportunity; despite the word "HD Tracks" being used in a similar way to the word "Kleenex" (i.e. a brand name identifying a product), I personally feel it would be easy for someone new with enough money & a good marketing & education campaign to dominate the market. (look at how the Millennials are taking to vinyl once they hear it; & Neil certainly has name recognition & sound quality cred.).

HDT does too much wrong imo; especially since what I believe was either a sale or total reorganization of the company (though I don't know who to) a couple years ago. I certainly have no loyalty to them.

Truthfully, I'm a but surprised Amazon hasn't gone there; they already have the infrastructure.

Back to Pono, afaik, they are still selling the players. I've never used one; I have heard mixed reviews.

I think that Pono Music is too deeply associated with the Pono Player.

Early on there was those who praised the player and just as many that say it was overpriced and truly no different from other less expensive options. So with mixed reviews on the player, I think that and the lack of a good marketing plan kept the music site from selling more.

I too never heard a Pono Player but I would be interested in playing around with one if given the opportunity.