1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Sports Update on LG 4K OLED65C7

When I posted about my new TV/Receiver setup, (LG OLED65C7 and Marantz 7011). Someone asked me “I'm looking at buying the 55" version of this TV. How is it watching baseball?” (I too was coming from a 55 LG, but not 4K as this one is.)

Well, it’s a month later and I wanted to give the answer and expand it to most sports. I had always wondered, really, why there were so many picture modes, “Standard” “Cinema” “sports” etc. Now I know.

At first, the pictures from Baseball, Hockey and Tennis looked fantastic. Great detail, the field looked huge and the right color and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    But I began to notice that when the baseball, puck, or tennis ball, was going fast through a fully colored background (green grass in baseball; white ice in Hockey and an orange tennis court in the French open) I began to lose sight of the ball or puck. I didn’t have this on my 55 incher.

The ball, or puck, absorbed the strong color of the background and sort of disappeared. I experimented with the TRUMOTION settings and certainly took it off default. I put it on “NONE” and went to the manual user setting and put the “de blur” at 10. I now get a great picture with no problems.

Let me also state that this was no instant solution, it took maybe an half an hour. I tried ALL FOUR of their settings and played with the “de blur.”

I never had trouble with golf, which looks great. Or basketball or volleyball. (no football yet.) I am still open to any suggestions, but things seem fine now.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

one would think "sport" mode would be best for sport, right? I guess not.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.