Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

John Wick Chapter 2 (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  Wick2.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  37.2 KB

Plot
    Legendary hit man John Wick is forced out of retirement again by a former associate plotting to seize control of a shadowy international assassins’ guild. Bound by a blood oath to help him, John travels to Rome, where he squares off against some of the world’s deadliest killers.

My Thoughts
    As far as sequels go, this one is better than most. While the story isn’t what you’d call groundbreaking, it does include a lot of action and some intense stunts and a boatload of bloodshed—we are talking John Wick here! If you haven’t seen the first, you really should if you like this genre of films. Keanu Reeves is excellent in the role and really plays a pretty damn good badass—plus, he can do some serious damage with a pencil!

4K UHD
    Video 8/10 (HEVC)
    Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Blu-ray
    Video 4.5/5 (AVC)
    Audio 5/5 (DTS-HD MA 7.1)

Special Features
    · Deleted Scenes
    · “RetroWick” Exploring the Unexpected Success of John Wick”
    · “Training John Wick”
    · “WICK-vizzed”
    · “Friends, Confidantes: The Keanu Chad Partnership”
    · “As Above, So Below: The Underworld of John Wick”
    · “Car Fu Ride-Along”
    · “Chamber Deck: Evolution of a Fight Scene”
    · “Wick’s Toolbox”
    · “Kill Count”
    · Dog Wick Short
    · Audio Commentary with Keanu Reeves and director Chad Stahelski
    · UHD, Logan Noir UHD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, + UV Digital Copy

Conclusion
    Sure, you have to check your brain on the way into this one, but it’s well worth the effort even though the film is horrifically violent, something I normally don’t enjoy. But in that case, I tolerate it for the balls to the wall action and phenomenal choreography in the first scenes. Recommended.
    Last edited by David Vaughn; 06-15-2017 at 09:18 PM.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I'll give this one a rent for sure. While if it is like the first one, it should be mildly entertaining and worth two bucks, to me.

Thanks for the review, David.

David Vaughn

Thanks for the review. I have not seen the first or second. Will check them out as rentals as well.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Greetings,

I concur Dave! Nice review buddy..
    Regards,

Ralph C.Potts
    AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

"While the story isn’t what you’d call groundbreaking, it doesn’t include a lot of action and some intense stunts and a boatload of bloodshed"

David, "doesn't" is a typo, right? Really didn't think that I would enjoy the first Wick mindless mayhem movie, but I totally did ...and who doesn't like a good revenge flick. Although your review doesn't mention it, I believe that the music selected for the first film was spot-on and indispensable in setting and maintaining the mood required for various scenes. I am looking forward to Wick II, even if Keanu is now 52 years old (his age mentioned by Keanu himself while guesting a Graham Norton talk show). Anyway, a little age has never been an obstacle for a bankable Hollywood action hero.

This was a fun movie, if not as good as the first. The story was more complicated and not super interesting whereas the story in the first one was practically nonexistant and proud of it.

Some great shootouts and probably the most people shot in the head in any movie every made.

Note to film geeks: Check out how the director shoots several scenes with the camera FACING a mirror, yet producing no reflection. It's really cool, if overdone.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post
    This was a fun movie, if not as good as the first. The story was more complicated and not super interesting whereas the story in the first one was practically nonexistant and proud of it.

Some great shootouts and probably the most people shot in the head in any movie every made.

Note to film geeks: Check out how the director shoots several scenes with the camera FACING a mirror, yet producing no reflection. It's really cool, if overdone.
    noticed that too. must have been a monumental pain in the ass. homage to Enter the Dragon but with guns? fun movie.

there is a vid of Keanu training with live rounds that is intense on youtube. crazy. pistols, shotguns, semi automatic and automatic weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bartlett View Post
    "While the story isn’t what you’d call groundbreaking, it doesn’t include a lot of action and some intense stunts and a boatload of bloodshed"

David, "doesn't" is a typo, right? Really didn't think that I would enjoy the first Wick mindless mayhem movie, but I totally did ...and who doesn't like a good revenge flick. Although your review doesn't mention it, I believe that the music selected for the first film was spot-on and indispensable in setting and maintaining the mood required for various scenes. I am looking forward to Wick II, even if Keanu is now 52 years old (his age mentioned by Keanu himself while guesting a Graham Norton talk show). Anyway, a little age has never been an obstacle for a bankable Hollywood action hero.

Dave...yes, that was a typo. Didn't catch that in my edit.
    David Vaughn

I just saw the condensed version of this movie.