Netflix has more American subscribers than cable TV

from yahoo,

"If it wasn't already clear that Netflix has become a mainstay of the American media landscape, it is now. A combination of official data with Leichtman Research estimates shows that, as of the first quarter of 2017, there are more Netflix subscribers in the US (50.85 million) than there are customers for major cable TV networks (48.61 million)."
    ======

Disclosure. I don't have cable but I do have netflix.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

That's not a totally shocking statistic. The more interesting number to me would be Netflix users that are true cord-cutters.

I had both Netflix and DirecTV for a good while. I dropped their service when they split the streaming and disc delivery services. At that time there was very little in the streaming part that interested me and I wasn't watching enough Blu-rays in a month's time to make financial sense in my case. I would have kept the service if it were still the combined deal that I had.

I just do the streaming and netflix does offer a lot now compared to long time ago..
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

This is slightly incomplete because it lists subscribers from "major" cable networks but I don;t know how many are on minor. And I do not know if this includes Direct TV and Dish, the two satellite providers. I'd also like to know how many people get cable and Netflix, which I do.

Also Hulu and the other services are not listed, meaning more can be streaming than the 50% shown here (unless most are also on cable or also on Netflix.)

We do know that cable is down 20% of its viewers from it's peak 15 years ago. Meaning more people are doing without or are streaming. This has affected such stations as ESPN which has lsot a lot of viewers. It also implies to em that Major League Sports must be feeling the impact too.

From Money:
    A Record Number of People Just Cancelled Their Pay TV
    The cord-cutting trend isn't going away. In fact, the pace at which subscribers are dumping their pay TV packages is increasing.
    During the second quarter of 2016, roughly 812,000 U.S. customers canceled their pay TV subscriptions, according to an estimate from SNL Kagan. “It is a bit of an acceleration and the biggest quarterly loss that we’ve seen,” said Ian Olgeirson, an analyst with SNL Kagan, per the Los Angeles Times. “We are seeing a gradual increase in the decline rate.”

Overall, there were 1.4 million fewer cable subscribers last quarter compared to the same period a year ago. Meanwhile, the total number of pay TV subscribers in America dropped by 1.1 million in 2015, which is four times the decline seen in 2014.
    There is no need to feel bad for telecom companies, though. The big reason that traditional cable and satellite subscriptions are down is that people are increasingly turning to online video services like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Sling TV, and even if people are canceling their pay TV from Comcast, Verizon Fios, or Time Warner Cable, they are probably still paying for broadband Internet services from these same providers.
    The truth is that many people aren't really "cutting the cord" completely. They're still plugged into business with big pay TV-Internet providers, but are only paying for broadband rather than the old "triple play" combo with landline, cable, and Internet bundled in one monthly bill. And instead of paying a monthly cable TV bill, they're more likely to be paying a (likely smaller) monthly bill to one or more streaming video services.
    Name:  screen shot 2015-08-18 at 10.08.55 am.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  21.2 KBWhat's more, a recently released forecast from SNL Kagan indicates that over the next 10 years the cable industry will be faring quite well. Traditional TV subscriptions are expected to continue on a decline, falling 1.5% per year over the next decade, lower than previous anticipated declines of 1.7%. But more importantly, broadband subscriptions are being projected to increase by 8 million over the next decade, reaching 71 million by 2026—which would be 1.6 times the number of video subscribers if SNL Kagan's forecasts hold up.
    "Like many industries, cable isn’t immune to shifting preferences, but continued growth in broadband may propel revenue growth on both the residential and commercial end,” SNL Kagan researchers Tony Lenoir and Ian Olgeirson explained earlier this month.“Despite ongoing declines in video, the next 10 years look pretty good for this sector.”
    Last edited by Lefisc; 06-17-2017 at 03:52 PM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

FYI I have never had cable television. Or any television of any kind.

Not counting when I was growing up (though it wasn't "mine") and in college (was provided but still, not "mine")

And I turned out A-OK.

(Fires up projector before people start asking questions...)
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Frankly, I have enjoyed television and I like cable. When I was a kid, we only got to see half of the New York Yankee games on broadcast television. Now I could see them all. I really like movies and with HBO and Showtime I get to see movies that I might have missed, many that David has recommended. I do watch the news. What I don't watch is a lot of network programming. Yes I watch a couple shows but that's about it. And I love having clear good reception something I often did not have with my antenna before cable. I do wish that I could buy the cable package with the stations à la cart. That is only paid for the stations I watch which are probably 10% of what they give you. and with the exception of my murder, blackmail and bribery convictions, I turned out A OK too. And there is not much to do here in Sing Sing but watch cable.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc