Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pass Labs X250.5 Stereo Amplifier -The OFFICIAL Thread

Legendary designer Nelson Pass has been at the forefront of amplifier design since the dawn of time it seems. His influence can be seen and heard in many of today's modern amplifiers, though if you want a true Pass original you have to go to the source -Pass Labs. Pass Labs has been making some of the finest sounding and looking amplifiers the world over for over twenty years. During that period the audiophile world has been treated to some timeless designs, many of which are still in production today. Among them one of Pass Labs' most popular amplifier designs, the X250.5. While the X250.5 began life simply as the X250 the .5 update is but a refinement to the original design.

The X250.5 is a 250 Watt per channel stereo amplifier that retails for $8,250, which puts it right in the crosshairs of other great stereo amps such as the Mark Levinson No 532H, Classe's CA2300 and Krell's 2250e though I'd argue the X250.5 competes sonically with more expensive Krell 402e. As always the X250.5 sports Pass Labs' trademark thick aluminum facade accented by a large, blue meter.

Pass Labs X250.5 Specifications

Gain (dB): 26
    Frequency Response: 1.5Hz -100kHz
    Power Output (8 Ohms): 2 x 250 Watts
    Type: Stereo
    Distortion (1kHz): 1%
    Input Impedance: 30/20
    Damping Factor: 150
    Maximum Output (Volts): 64
    Power Consumption (Watts): 300
    Dimensions: 19 x 9 x 21.5
    Weight: 110lbs

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

I am rocking the class-a 30 watt Pass Labs XA30.5 amp myself. Stunning performer. Not as much BEEF as the X250 but perhaps more "control"

Pass Labs has a LOT to offer:
    - Easily 20% less cost than other brands in its space.
    - Handmade audio jewelry type of pride of ownership.
    - The whole voltage issue is a big one and makes for a KICK ASS amp

I've never owned a Pass amp but always admired them. I think they are flipping' gorgeous! The XA30.5 you're rocking Jerry is supposed to be one sick amp, just not enough power for me.....

I always remember when I was at a fetish fest and someone was talking of anal and said too much lube is almost enough, I feel the same way about power for my stereo! Too much power is almost enough! I would love to have Krell 900 WPC mono's feeding my 93 dB efficient Sasha's.........

The XA 30.5 is SO VERY SICK.

Ken - you might need to get a 100 watt class-a amp to hear what your Wilsons can really do. 900e Krells are one thing but 100w class-a is scary good.

Just what I need, MORE stereo gear in my home! Bad snout I have closets full of boxes and stuff....

Need to do a major A'gon sale.....

Not to be "that guy"... but I'm fairly sure the meter indicates bias current for the output transistors, not Voltage.

Ken definitely needs more amplifier to go with that ARC. Honestly, I wouldn't mess around with anything less than bi-amping with mono's at this point. Just keepin' it real...

I'd like to see the money pouring in from your Audiogon.com sale.

My review of the X250.5 is live on Home Theater Review. Here's an excerpt for those who may have missed it.

I began my evaluation of the X250.5 with John Mayer's 1999 self-distributed debut album, Inside Wants Out (John Mayer LLC), and the track "Comfortable." The entire album has a near-live quality to it, as it was recorded in a single session, with all the musicians occupying the same space. The first thing that struck me about the X250.5's performance was the added inflection afforded to both instruments and vocals. Whereas many an amplifier will simply communicate the music, the X250.5 takes things a step further and conveys the subtlest of emotions behind every chord and/or lyric. Listening to the deeply personal "Comfortable," I got the sense that the X250.5 was in on the relationship that sparked the song, as if it had a deeper appreciation of the lyrics than other amps did. I know that sounds odd, for obviously an amplifier can't feel emotion, but if ever there was an amplifier that excelled at conveying it, it would be the X250.5.
    Read the entire review at HomeTheaterReview.com

I just got the bill for my Pass Labs XA30.5 and I am buying it.

Different than the X250 but perfect for my office system as a) my focals are pretty easy to drive and b) I don't play it that loudly during the day and c) I don't pay for the electricity!

for my Focal Electra 1038 BE
    what model will drive them the best?

XA30.5
    XA60.5 pair
    X250.5
    also i have option for integrated INT-150

thanks