Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Spider Boy homecoming

Spider Boy? Hey, he's only 15 years old here. I post this one hour before I'm going to see the movie. I will probably enjoy it only because I have the lowest expectations possible. From what I have seen and heard this third Version of Spiderman is not something I'm really thrilled about. It seems to be more of a teenage movie then a superhero one.I wanted to get that in writing before I put down my review later today.

I just posted my review below
    Last edited by Lefisc; 07-07-2017 at 07:45 PM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Once again a review with no spoilers, but afterword’s, a review with a lot of them. No spoilers means that I will not reveal more than in the coming attractions. Spider-Man Homecoming (which should be called Spider-Boy Homecoming) has gotten pretty good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

I found the movie deeply faulted, often boring (my friend feel asleep), and not a movie that I want to see a sequel to. While the cast was stellar, the plotline was more geared for teenagers and TV viewers than for adults who like original movies.

On TV, Supergirl, the Flash etc, there is a pattern: The hero has friends behind the scenes that both help them and cause problems, and there is an interracial (with I prefer to call inter-ethnic) or gay relations. Well, Spider-Boy, welcome to the club. But these things take endless time in the movie.

Spider-Man is not only not a loner, as he was in the original comics, but Tony Stark, who appears throughout the movie, essentially gives him an Iron Man suit and Parker uses this ridiculous, overreaching technology to fight crime.

Name:  Spiderman 33 Full page.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  97.4 KB

The highlight, as he often is, is Michael Keaton, who plays the flying Vulture. He is wonderful to watch. They actually use him in place of DOC OCK, with many scenes, often out of the comics, coming from OCKS appearances.

If you don’t like a movie, it is too long. I don’t hate this movie or dislike it. It’s just nothing special. I guess 2.5 out of 4 stars.

SPOILER ALERT:
    First the movie borrows a great deal from Spider-Man #33, with the famous Ditko lifting scene. But my Peter Parker was a Spider-Man, this is a Spider child.

As with the TV shows, Parker, who was a loner in the comics, has a goofy best friend who learns his identity quickly and becomes totally annoying for the first half of the movie.

They will tell you this is not an origin movie and the spider bite scene is not shown but discussed for about 30 seconds. But this is a story of a 15 year learning to use his powers and often failing. In the comics Parker was closer to 17 and old enough to get a job at the Daily Bugle. There is no mention of Uncle Ben or how Aunt May, known just as May, earns a living. But throughout the movie there are references to just how hot Marisa Tomei is.
    The friendly neighbor Spider-man concept originally meant that he fought neighborhood villains and thugs, not the sci fi menaces of the Fantastic Four. Well, here they change everything. The villain is high tech sci fi, he uses high tech sci fi gimmicks, so far away for what my Spider-Man was.

Tony Stark knows everything and gives Parker a suit, with powers like his own, that even talks to him. (Jennifer Connelly is the voice. Her husband was the voice in Iron Man’s suit) But the voice makes deductions and decisions only sci fi A.I. can do. This is not Spider-Man.

There are somethings that I hate in movies. In so many movies, and I hope you know what I mean. “Movie Coincidence” and “People do things they would not do but it sets up the plot.” When he most needs it Parker in ignored, for a quarter of the movie, by Tony Stark who says he is looking out for Peter. Not only that, but the Avengers are putting their stuff together and no one is guarding it whatsoever. So Peter saves the day. It was so silly and not for one second did I think Spider-man was in real danger.

If this movie makes money, and it appears that it will, there will be a sequel. I can wait.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Kinda surprised to hear this Barry. I loved it. Not perfect (dragged a little bit in spots, and too much of his comedy relief classmate) but they got the most important thing right: the tone. Spidey finally felt like Spidey. Keaton was great (not enough of him though) and the action was good, if not amazing.

As for plot quibbles, eh, it's a comic book movie. Civil War was a mess in terms of plot, but lots of fun.

Though I agree the hi-tech suit with 34563 different types of webs was too much. Same for the Iron Man-style AI inside it. He has Spidey sense, why does he need a suit with stuff that essentially does the same?

But they finally nailed the "your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man" part. And there will definitely be a sequel. I look forward to it.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Brandon, don't go by me. The movie gets high rating on Rotten Tomatoes and took in 250 million. Oh, well. I liked Wonder Woman
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

My original Peter Parker was in high school. However - he somehow landed a job at the Daily Bugle....as a kid. This is a reboot of the New Parker SPOILER (and that might not be the end of what we saw from Stark - "Iron Spider" anyone)? I've watched Spiderman from the 60's until now. This Spiderman - albeit not familiar to us older people - will fit right in with the one that appears on Disney now.
    Infinity Composition Prelude P-FR, Oveture 1 center, QPS -1 surround side and Presence Rear, Gekko 1821 NTX rear, Infinity P-QPS Front Presence
    Acoustic Elegance P1152 subs (x2) SVS 16-46 (x2) DCM Full Time passive subs - rear sides (x2) B&K Reference 200.7 power amp, Yamaha MX-830, Behringer NU4-6000, 6 core HTPC W/Blu-ray W/Jriver nVidia 1050gtx ti, AK4490EQ based Dac with Burson OpAmp upgrades , Silicondust HDHR3 Prime network CableCard Tuner, LG 55 inch LCD, Infocus 1080p DLP Projector

Spoilers below:

it was fun. spidey was young and stupid, who isnt at 15. i thought the video blog from Civil War was great. younger audiences will eat this up. my 12 year old loved it.

lots of movies are integrating, some feel forced, others not. the point is to get to a place where we dont notice anymore. so bravo.

BUT...i knew from the trailers there would be too much Stark (besides Iron Man 1 & Civil War, I can do without him). Iron Man in the posters, the stark/avengers building as well. Sony wanted so much to be a part of the MCU they sold out.

The suit was ridiculous. that is all ill say. they shoulda just let fat boy be the man in the chair the whole time.

my son knows Keaton, who was great in the movie, as the McDonalds guy. My son even asked if he plays a bad guy in all his movies. I told him he was Batman once, I got the smirk and shoulder shrug from that comment.

oooooohhhh hell no

Keaton is Batman

...and Birdman. And now Vulture.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Saw it yesterday and enjoyed it much more than any other Spiderman movie. The story was fun (although there were some plot holes) and it was extremely entertaining. I give is 4.5/5.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I had to give you a thumbs down!But, I think you proved a great point. This movie was made to reach out to,people like you and it succeeded. It's reaching out to people who were turned off to the last few movies. I have to admit that most people I know and most critics liked it for more than I did. Sadly for me this movie was not bad enough for me And you to tease each other. Except maybe, with a straight face I can ask for this movie, "Hey, who was that masked man?"
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    I had to give you a thumbs down!But, I think you proved a great point. This movie was made to reach out to,people like you and it succeeded. It's reaching out to people who were turned off to the last few movies. I have to admit that most people I know and most critics liked it for more than I did. Sadly for me this movie was not bad enough for me And you to tease each other. Except maybe, with a straight face I can ask for this movie, "Hey, who was that masked man?"

You can pick one movie to watch...this or the Lone Ranger. Which is it?
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast