The Fifth Element (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  fifth.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  26.2 KB

Plot
    New York cab driver Korben Dallas didn’t mean to be a hero, but he just picked up the kind of fare that only comes along every five thousand years. A perfect beauty, a perfect being, a perfect weapon. Together, they must save the world.

My Thoughts
    In all honesty, the first time I saw this movie I hated it—a lot. I didn’t connect with the over-the-top script and characters and couldn’t see why so many people loved it—especially my good friend Ralph Potts. I did own the movie on DVD because it was a demo-showpiece for video quality and I could stomach various scenes in order to show off the prowess of my system. Now I’ve watched it twice in less than two years all the way through and enjoy the hell out of it.

I guess it took me a long time to get used to the narrative, but I now love the over-the-top performances, especially Chris Tucker, and Willis is great in the lead too. Consider me a convert!

This UHD release is quite good, but with the added resolution, there’s more grain in the picture that’s masked in the 1080p Signature Series Blu-ray release. All told though, it looks great and the expanded color palette adds a little pop to the image and the HDR treatment looks great. As for the audio, it’s the same Atmos track from the last Blu-ray release

Video 9.5/10

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos—True HD 7.1 core)

Special Features:
    · The Director’s Nots: An All-New Interview with Director Luc Besson
    · The Visual Element
    · The Digital Element
    · The Star Element
    · The Alien Element
    · The Fashion Element
    · The Diva
    · Imagining The Fifth Element
    · The Elements of Style
    · Blu-ray + UV Digital Copy

Conclusion
    The past Blu-ray release was made with UHD in mind due to the new 4K scan. While this isn’t the demo showpiece that it was back in the day on DVD, it still looks great for a 20-year-old film and I’m sure it will be a big seller on the new format. Recommended for fans.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by David Vaughn; 07-07-2017 at 05:06 PM.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

David, I remember when surround sound was being introduced, when laser discs were considered high tech and when we had a lot of audio stores getting into video. They all had "Top Gun" on display. To the point I was getting sick of it. Twenty years later these stores all played "Fifth Element." Frankly, I like the first third, tolerated the second third, but it lost me at the opera.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Barry,

For the longest time, I felt the exact same way, but it has grown on me for some reason. I blame Ralph Potts influence
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Ralph certainly is a Fifth Element fanboy.

I bought the Superbit DVD solely because of the demo-worthy video. I too never really like the movie.

glad u like this now Dave! This has always been one of my favorites. Fifth element was guardians of the galaxy before guardians of the galaxy (film version anyway). there is no doubt that GOTG has influenced u as well.

cant wait for Valerian.

Shouldn't we up to aleast the sixth or seventh element by now?
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc