Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Jerry D - a freaking genius?

So over the past 5 years I dove head first back into my love for audio. This year, I really stepped up to the plate.

Picked up some DynAudio Contour 60's, was driving them with my Marantz AV8802 preamp and an older Harman Kardon Amp. Not a bad combo.

Wanted to step up and see but hard earned cash is tough to part with when your system sounds good.

Put a toe in with an older Adcom GFP 750 pre-amp (which was a big upgrade).

Fretted about dropping cash on a better amp and pre-amp. Farted around for months debating, listening in stores, on different speakers. Read reviews.

Got in touch with Jerry D. Conversation went something like this.

Me - "blah, blah, blah... going to spend all my cash on an amp and pre-amp, but can't make a decision worth a shit, I feel like the giant orange hairdo, annoying everyone with my random comments about amps and pre-amps, sounding out of my mind and completely crazy trying to figure this out, Jerry, straighten me out"

Jerry - "Get a Pass Labs, everyone should own one once in their lives. It's like Obama, but even better. No Oprah that gets in the way of the sound, and it's like miracle of a lifetime. The pre-amp and amp, are synergistic. They work together with your speakers, like the government should"

Me - "But, man so many options, and it's like having multiple great candidates to choose from, it's the opposite of last November thankfully, tough to go wrong it seems, but I don't want to make a bad choice"

Jerry - "STFU, get the freaking pass labs and be done with it."

Me - "well, if you put it that way".

So I pulled the trigger, I spent more than I ever thought I would on an amp and pre-amp. XP12 and 250.8.

HOLY CRAP. Pass labs right now is simply "better". I did actually go to a few stores and hear a lot of excellent high end products, including with my speakers. But I did always feel the Pass sounded "right". It's in the midrange, almost a slight bloom, barely there. It's subtle but man it's freaking spectacular. The bass, deep, powerful like class D, tight, but not so tight that it sounds unnatural. No mud, but just right.

Jerry D = Genius

Seriously guys (and gals) - you owe it to yourself. Get a Pass Labs at some point in your life. I was up until 2am last night having a marathon listening session.
    Last edited by green giant; 07-07-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Congrats on the purchase, but now Jerry's head has grown a few more sizes. He needs a head shrink
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Well, yeah. It is his business after all. He's pretty knowledgeable. Glad you like it, Pass Labs stuff is awesome. If you wanna pick up some speakers I'll save you the trouble of emailing him again:

buy Focals.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Pass Labs equipment is on my bucket list. I've never been able to convince myself to part with the cash.

Some of the Adcom gear, the first gen GFA 555 and 545 amps are Nelson's designs. I have the 555 so I have a small slice of Pass Labs DNA sitting in my rack. However, I'm sure there is no comparison.

Congrats, I am officially envious.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

I couldn't agree more with this thread.

My wife - not so much!!!

I need Pass to make amps that fit in my Middle Atlantic rack (they are SLIGHTLY too wide) and I am back in. Ben Shyman bought one and is love. Terry London has had multiple and he's in love too. They are REALLY GOOD.

David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post
    Well, yeah. It is his business after all. He's pretty knowledgeable. Glad you like it, Pass Labs stuff is awesome. If you wanna pick up some speakers I'll save you the trouble of emailing him again:

buy Focals.
    A Pass Lab & Focal combo would be magical.

I know that Sandy Gross demos his GoldenEar Tritons with Pass Lab amps.

Well the truth is that I really, really like the DynAudio Contour 60's. They are absolutely fantastic speakers, as I am sure the Focal's are.

I will say this, they are revealing of what is upstream.

But, I'm not quite a week in now with the full Pass Lab's combo. Absolutely spectacular.

The pre-amp is very, very good. Detailed, tight, revealing, not too bright just a great pre-amp with an absolutely fantastic volume control. (Didn't realize how much that could make a difference).

The 250.8, it's a SPECIAL amp. I've always believed that amps do sound different and while differences are subtle, sometimes you hit on something special. I've owned Classe in the past, and it was good.

I demo'd Pass and SimAudio extensively on the Contour 60's in a couple stores. (also tried Octave Audio quite a bit).

Stores are tough, but both were excellent retailers. But both stores kept pushing the SimAudio, and it's good, very good.

But my ears kept telling me the Pass just had "it" for me... whatever "it" is. "it" may actually be slightly less perfect than the SimAudio. Neither amp combo did anything wrong, in fact the SimAudio I might argue was absolutely spot on.

Here is my analogy...

The SimAudio with the Dyn's - was perfect, like going on a date with someone that there is absolutely nothing wrong. Looks great, nice night, good conversation, an absolutely spectacular evening that you could see yourself dating that person, even marrying and being perfectly happy.

The Pass Labs with the Dyn's - same as above, but with maybe one small imperfection, but that imperfection just "does" it for you, has an emotional connection that has you going nuts all night to see, go out with again... That is the small difference.

Your friends would call you crazy for walking away from either... but you know that one just had some special connection.

That's the Pass Labs.

Jerry - "Get a Pass Labs, everyone should own one once in their lives. It's like Obama, but even better. No Oprah that gets in the way of the sound, and it's like miracle of a lifetime. The pre-amp and amp, are synergistic. They work together with your speakers, like the government should"

Me - "But, man so many options, and it's like having multiple great candidates to choose from, it's the opposite of last November thankfully, tough to go wrong it seems, but I don't want to make a bad choice"

"Jerry - "STFU, get the freaking pass labs and be done with it."

Me - "well, if you put it that way".

So I pulled the trigger, I spent more than I ever thought I would on an amp and pre-amp. XP12 and 250.8."

Then the Democratic Congress raised the debt ceiling and charged the system to the Tax Payer in the amount of _________?
    Last edited by BassEarDrum; 07-10-2017 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BassEarDrum View Post

Then the Democratic Congress raised the debt ceiling and charged the system to the Tax Payer in the amount of _________?

Well, don't want to take this one off the tracks... but here we go.

1. I'm an independent voter as I think political parties are about 80% of the problems themselves right now. I don't ever want to lock myself into a party in case someone runs that I actually think would do an OK job (I've lowered my standards after last Novembers choices). Honestly, I would be happy with a choice next time that I felt one of the two could at least do a "mediocre" job.

2. If you want the Republicans to impress me (for that matter Democrats) - when they finally come up with a "new" health plan... I believe in it when they all vote to ALL participate in the plan they come up with.

3. I hate being cynical, but it's a damn shame our best and brightest (regardless of party) have zero desire to run for office anymore.

Nelson Pass and his team however - NAILED IT!