2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Comic History: I hope this is fun to look at

With super-hero productions taking over, and Squirrel Girl, a hero for young people, coming up I just wanted to mention a few things. Comic Book historians flinch when the industry is perceived as only being super-heroes, when, for decades, it was so much more than that. But originally comics were published to appeal to large groups.

Comic books were invented in the 1930s, before TV, internet and even before paperback books. Their publishers originally published “The Pulps” monthly, inexpensive magazines that featured sci fi, mystery, horror, romance, westerns, jungle girls, and children’s stories. They were very popular.

Beginning in 1935 comics offered the same variety of material. Superman was introduced in 1938 and for the war years, super-heroes took off, but the other genres were left intact and were big sellers especially funny animals for children. So was Archie, also introduced in the 1930s.

After the war super-heroes faded away and by the 1950s only Superman was successful. The other genres, now including crime and horror, thrived. In fact, in the 1950s and 1960s, Dell comics, which published Disney stories along with adventure stories for children (Licensed from “Lassie,” “Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea” etc) were the BIGGEST SELLERS even more than DC or Marvel, which also had similar titles. Harvey Comics, with Casper, Wendy and such also had large circulation.

Until the 1970s, just like TV, comic were made for men, women, old, young and people who like any genre. That did change in the 1970s. Why?

First, women stopped buying comics of any genre.

Second, and this is a biggy, comic began to lose their newsstands, candy, stationary stores and virtually all the places that comics had been sold.

Finally, their distribution system was failin. Unsold comics were returnable for full credit and that system was being ripped off. So the industry turned to non-returnable comics and printed up and delivered to the new comic stores only what was ordered with no returns. That gave birth to the comic book store. Originally there were 10,000 of them across the country, now there are less than 3,000.

And the young children who bought Casper, Young Woman who bought Archie and stranglers who bought everything are almost never seen in a comic book store. Kids don’t have cars and cannot travel.

So whose left? 20ish to 40ish males. They buy the comics and they buy super-heroes. The genres that the industry was built on, is gone.
    Name:  01-WTOTF5-fc.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  100.0 KB
    Name:  6 million daollar amn.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  98.6 KB
    Name:  8-GOLDEN-AGE-WESTERN-COMICS1 (1).jpg
Views: 116
Size:  93.8 KB
    Name:  Charlton flash inside.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  93.7 KBName:  Little lulu.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  97.8 KBName:  moon girl.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  97.7 KB
    Name:  NAMU-41-735x1024.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  100.1 KBName:  Archie Pepe comics 22.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  106.8 KBName:  archie verica.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  101.8 KB
    Name:  westerns.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  16.5 KBName:  western_supernovel_193305_v1_n1.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  62.0 KB
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Thanks for the historical write up Barry. Good info.

As a kid, I wasn't into comic books since my parents never wanted me to spend money on them but I did read all the "funnies", cartoons in the newspapers..
    Last edited by TrippleJ; 07-11-2017 at 11:20 AM.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    I put this up because today we only think of comic superheroes in the movies. But in the 1940s until today, Blondie, Peanuts, lil Abner, Prince Valiant, Terry and the Pirates, Dick Tracy, Little Orphan Annie, Archie, Dennis the Menace, Dondi, Flas Gordon, Buck Rodgers, Sheena, Tales from the Crypt, and Casper all became tv shows and or movies.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Yeah, the move from comics to tv and movies seem very logical..
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.