2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

OLED and Burn in or Image Retention

For those of you who have OLED sets, are you experiencing any burn in or image retention?

I know LG provides various options to help minimize burn in or image retention.

Per LG,

LG OLED TVs come with special features and settings to preserve image quality and prevent burn in and image retention. First, there is a screen saver feature that will turn on automatically if the TV detects that a static image is displayed on screen after approximately two minutes. There are also two options – available in the Picture Mode Settings within the Smart Picture menu – that can be used to preserve image quality. The first of these is the Clear Panel Noise feature that preserves the quality of the image on the display panel by resetting the TV so that it clears the pixels. This feature can be turned on when needed within the settings mentioned above. The second feature which is automatically employed is the Screen Shift feature which moves the screen slightly at regular intervals to preserve image quality. So in short: Reasonable, responsible usage of an OLED TV, combined with powerful image preservation abilities should result in a seamless home entertainment experience.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

As much as OLED displays cost, it's good to have a better system in place to deal with image retention.

After all, the last thing you want on your new OLED is a permanently burned-in QVC logo.

Thanks for posting, I have an lg oled
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Barry, are you using any of the options LG is providing -- screen saver, clear panel noise feature, and the screen shift feature? If so, are they beneficial?
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    There is a sad problem with the LG TV set. Simply, they do not give you a set of full instructions. There is a Nereid of suggestions on various websites but there's nothing concrete. So you have to guess a lot and then go to the web and see if you're right. So you don't really know what they have set as a default. Apparently the screen saver and the screen shift feature are defaulted as on. You manually have to do the clear panel setting. And that takes an hour. The picture is terrific after making adjustments and I have noticed no change. Let me mention one important feature though.

To get the best picture you must take it off it's automatic setting and place it on standard. You must also, and this is a big also, take it off the default energy setting setting of auto. When I shut that off Picture quality became fantastic. But there's nowhere in their booklets that tell you to do this.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Thanks for the details Barry. Interesting that LG doesn't give much documentation. You would think they would provide a big document (manual) since it is OLED!
    Main:

I expected a PDF on line or something, but nothing.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

I usually find that anything setting that deals with "Motion", should be turned off as well.

When switched on with my LED, the video looks a bit video-ish. A bit like a 90's daytime soap opera. If you notice strange-looking or not smooth video, try switching all the motion settings off, or try them one at a time.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Tracy, I did the pixel fixing last night. I turned it on and after I turned off the set the The screen actually said that the pixel thing was being done. Let me say that the picture here is outstanding and if there was any change it was subtle enough for me not to notice. The set is only about two months old and I will routinely do this. As for the motion, I discovered and wrote about this, that in order to see baseballs, tennis balls and hockey pox moving at high-speed I had to manually adjust the trumotion, and not use any of their four presets. This was the only complication with the TV. I might be getting a bit of the soap opera effect, but the picture is so sharp and clear and colorful it just doesn't bother me.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp