Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I hate computers

I really hate computers. But I need them. I guess I can never go to the “Nerd” academy.
    By HP computer, four years old and a workstation committed suicide 10 days ago. It was always so bad I didn’t even try CPR (Computer Program Restore) and bought a Dell.
    It’s taken over eleven hours to set up.

There first three were just taking up the old one and putting in the new. Hooking it up, answering all those windows questions, and putting in the files I had backed up. I also like to personalize the compute with my own wallpaper, mouse and stuff.

Three hours putting Microsoft Office. First, I had to contact Microsoft because I had this in my old machine and could not remove it before the computer failed. Then, I had to add my email accounts to Outlook. Verizon totally changed their easy process when they switched to aol mail. What a waste of time.
    It took over two hours, with installation and upgrades to put in Adobe Creative Suite. There was trouble installing fonts and I needed web pages to help me.
    My printer didn’t automatically show up so I ad to run a full install and that took a half hour.

Then I put in a bunch of maintenance and security stuff and then had to set them up and get downloads. My winzip 10 would not install so I had to buy the new one, 21, but that took up time. Stuff like that.

But the Dell is working very, very well. I will avoid HP and their terrible phone support at all costs.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

PCs only last 4 to 5 years from my experience. Also, regardless of the manufacturer, they are all terrible. I have friends who had Dell and complained about their PC..

Good thing you had your backups.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Heat is usually the main cause of computer failure. Accessing the Internet would be a close second.

So in short, don't turn it on or connect it to the Internet and it will be good for a very long time.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Instead of having pet rock, you can have a pet PC.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

I'm sort of kidding about not turning it on. However, making sure you have proper ventilation including regular cleaning of the vent holes and inside of a desktop can go a long way to keeping it running.

Not putting your "laptop" on your lap is also a good idea but I do it all the time.

As for not connecting it to the Internet, I firmly believe it makes a difference. My last desktop that I bought in 2000, was a workstation for my photography business. I bought it to run Photoshop, Light Room, and other image processing programs. I rarely, like maybe a dozen times, connected it to the ole' www and it still runs great to this day with Windows XP Pro.

It also has literally nothing on it except those programs and MS Office.

My desk top was built in 2010. I put together the last 2, you don't save any money but can put in the best part's- fans etc. When turning a PC on as many as 70-80 or more things have to start up so for the last year or so i only restart once a week or when i have to for an update etc. Hope i didn't jinks my self-LOL I also have two backup hard drives. P/S Oh and I'm on the internet for hours and so is my wife.

http://www.hometheaterequipment.com/...1&d=1501607093
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by old dust; 08-01-2017 at 10:09 AM.
    [SIGPIC]

Nice PC..

I wish I had the know how to build my own. Instead have to buy the manufacturer PC which has bunch of junk (software) I could care less about.
    Main:

Using a solid state drive for startup makes a world of difference.

Tracy, I too had a Windows XP computer that lasted for 10 years. Not unlike you I used mostly Microsoft office and Adobe creative Suite which includes Photoshop, illustrator, and in design. I also use lightroom.
    I was connected to the Internet and never had any problems with longevity. The Hewlett-Packard computer I bought from the very beginning did not work right. Many parts were replaced many hours were spent with tech support it was just a crummy computer.
    Like you I only by workstations and I expected the HP to last at least six or seven years. It was so frustrating to use that when it finally conked out rather than going to replace it or its parts I went to the Dell. So for the Dell is working very very well and from the very beginning its work better than the HP . The solid state start up drive cost about $250 more so I did not get it.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Putting it together is the easy part you just plug the parts into the mother board and there are directions then you cross your fingers turn it on and hope you hear 1 beep ONLY and your on your way. But first there is a lot of research to find the right parts to fit the mother board you are using .Here is a link to pictures as i was building it. I added a fan on the bottom to draw heat from the under side of the mother board. Had to raise the case for that.
    link- http://s822.photobucket.com/user/roa...?sort=6&page=1
    [SIGPIC]