Prof lets students choose own grades for 'stress reduction'

This is a student's dream class..

from campusreform,
    "A University of Georgia professor has adopted a “stress reduction policy” that will allow students to select their own grades if they “feel unduly stressed” by the ones they earned.

According to online course syllabi for two of Dr. Richard Watson’s fall business courses, he has introduced the policy because “emotional reactions to stressful situations can have profound consequences for all involved.”

As such, if students feel “unduly stressed by a grade for any assessable material or the overall course,” they can “email the instructor indicating what grade [they] think is appropriate, and it will be so changed” with “no explanation” being required."
    ======

I guess the future is in good hands.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Where was this policy when I was taking Sociology and French in college? Man, I hated those subjects.

yeah, I never got one of these "progressive" professors. lol.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Wow....I'll be sure to not hire anyone from that College!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    I believe once the Athletic director reads this news on the forum, the entire football team will be signed up. lol.
    Main:

Quote Originally Posted by TrippleJ View Post
    I believe once the Athletic director reads this news on the forum, the entire football team will be signed up. lol.

This is actually surprising, being that its UGA.

Apparently this professor does not teach in UGA's Pharmacy program. A good friend's daughter recently graduated from UGA with Honors in Pharmacy and is now working for a large hospital not far from here. She always told stories about how difficult the program was to get into and even harder once you did.

Maybe he teaches Liberal Arts.

Yeah, certain subjects are a lot harder than others..
    Main:

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    There is a lot less here in this article than meets the eye. It is deliberately written to get a response, not to draw on facts. The “reporter” does not interview the instructor, nor does he even link to the original piece. He also says he was using “archived” material, not current links.
    I was an educator in High School but mostly Adult programs for the last forty years.
    We do NOT know if this course was in a credit program. In Adult ED we often had courses that had no grades or grades that really didn’t matter because you either passed or failed. For example, if you were in a NY Real Estate Salesman course, you really passed or failed. But some students wanted grades and so schools complied.
    Even in credit programs there are some courses that really can be gradeless. For example, if you become a teacher now you need to take a course in recognizing child abuse. There is no need for a test.
    In the 1990s we went into hospitals to teach doctors and nurse how to use computers. This now has to be part of their college training. But many doctors and nurses were scared of this. And I see that the name of the program here might imply that this is a totally irrelevant course for a doctor, nurse or lawyer but they may need these skills. Look, you don’t take something like this and now say that it effects your average when it may have nothing to do with medicine, real estate, the law or whatever.

There is no “digging” here. Just a shock headline.
    Last edited by Lefisc; 08-09-2017 at 07:29 PM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Good point, Barry. I didn't read the entire story, just skimmed it.

I guess he got us talking about it and that is what he wanted.

Excellent follow up. I also skimmed it.
    Main: