3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

A brief review of Star Trek: Discovery

A brief review of Star Trek: Discovery

I was NOT really looking forward to Discovery. As our photographic and CGI technology gets better Star Trek should be placed further and further in the future. Instead, in three last THREE incarnations of Star Trek (Enterprise, The new movies and Discovery) the stories are set backwards in time, where every man has gone before. Discovery and Enterprise look far more advanced than the original Star Trek, yet they take place earlier.

And instead of giving us something original, with new characters, as the Next Generation did, I keep feeling that I have seen this stuff before.
    Star Trek Discovery is just another rewriting of the Star Trek Saga with a new cast. On all Star Trek’s the Captain, foolishly, goes on away missions that his crew should do. There is an acknowledgement of that here and the show will be centered around the “first officer” who will go on all these missions. (By the way, there was a mention of that in the pilot of Star Trek TNG)

The first episode has the first officer encountering the Klingons (using a scene right out of Star Trek the Motion Picture) and then the Klingons attacking.
    Gosh, I have seen this before, but this time with better special effects and make-up. Oh, somehow diversity is now what makes something “new.” That is, you can do the same old thing with a diverse crew and its “new” again.
    A disappointment for me is that I like Star Trek episodic, with continuity. I personally, am not a fan of 12 hour movies. For that reason I am not a fan of Deep Space Nine.

CBS is giving us a signal though, that adult dramas will no longer be on the broadcast network, nor will they be on their pay cable station Showtime, where this show belongs. I don’t see myself paying $50-100 a year for a few of these shows.

Streaming: the Final frontier: These are the voyages of the sixth or seventh Starship Enterprise. Its reoccurring mission, to revisit strange few worlds, to seek out familiar life and civilizations, to boldly go where Shatner, Nimoy, and Patrick Stewart had all gone before!!!!!!!!
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Thanks for the review Barry. I will skip this one due to the fact I refuse to pay for streaming for CBS..

I pay enough via Amazon prime, netflix, and hulu..

(I drop cable/satellite due to the extra costs and do not want to go back).

Originality in Hollywood is long dead.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    I meant to record it but forgot.

My brother-in-law, the head geek of all things Sci-Fi and Fantasy agrees with you, Barry. He said that when a Star Trek parody seems more like Star Trek than the latest official incarnation, you're doing it wrong. He goes further to say that Star Trek Discovery is just like the other STD, something you best stay far, far away from. However, he's thankful that CBS made the first episode so abysmal since it will save him the cost of the streaming subscription.

I should also mention that he Klingons were unrecognizable. Covered with such thick make-up and speaking Klingon, they almsot macchines rather thna actors. More than that, they did not look like us giving a very different perspective to what they were doing.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    I recorded it, but haven't watched it (and probably won't now after your review Barry). It's exactly what I was afraid of.

The show I think they should do is "Star Fleet Academy," where you follow a group of students as they move through 4 years in school and maybe follow a couple of them on their first years on a star ship. That would be somewhat interesting (possibly) and maybe include some hot chicks. They can call it Starfleet 90210!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post

The show I think they should do is "Star Fleet Academy," where you follow a group of students as they move through 4 years in school and maybe follow a couple of them on their first years on a star ship. That would be somewhat interesting (possibly) and maybe include some hot chicks. They can call it Starfleet 90210!
    That would be interesting as long as there were a few hot, green-skinned chicks.

Discovery left me very cold. A series (or more) long war wasn't what I was looking for. Orville, on the other hand, is really entertaining. They are outright stealing everything (almost) from Trek and loving it. Their second episode ...

The Orville travels to Bortus' (an all male race ... apparently) planet; the crew debates controversial surgeries for newborns.

... was classic trek material.