2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Superman the Extended TV version

There are now three versions of the 1977 Superman-The Movie, with Chris Reeve available. The first is the theatrical version. Then there is the Richard Donner special edition, which remains the best. There was a time when the major secondary market for movies was network television. The three-hour extended addition that appeared on ABC is now available.

This is a review of that newly released, three hour, Extended Edition. The movie is still very good but the pacing is incredibly slow down. There aren’t that many new scenes however previous scenes are extended. In fact I think that they are different takes rather just then adding dialogue. For example it now takes much longer for krypton to explode, for Clark Kent to get to the North Pole, Otis gaining entrance to Luther’s secret hideaway and later aiming the bombs. It is almost like a documentary because you can see what was properly cut out. Seems that look like movie studio shots are cut out of the theatrical versions and remain here. For example the Fortress of solitude actually looks very phony with all the new footage.

Among the new scenes, that is scenes you haven’t seen before, is that Lex Luther kept a giant beast or monster beneath his headquarters. While it is joked about at the beginning, Superman has to rescue Valerie Perrine from the monster at the end. On Krypton, the elders send their police force after Jor-El. And Superman is lectured by his father, Marlon Brando, to not feel pride about saving people’s lives. On the train, in the Smallville segment, are the ORIGINAL screen actors, Noel Neill and Kirk Allyn of Lois Lane and Superman. Here they have dialogue.

The picture often looks great but often looks grainy and a tad faded. The sound is fine, but not a good as the Donner edition.

The adding of all the scenes and the extending of the old ones really slows down the pace of the movie and hurts its rhythm. The Donner edition added many things that had to be cut because Superman was too long a movie. The added 10 minutes to the Donner edition work great. This new edition works well as a curiosity piece.

Name:  Superman Cartoon from issue 19.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  90.2 KB
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Thanks Barry. I requested this to come in the DC Box set later this month with Superman 1 & 2 plus all the Batman movies...not sure if I'll get it though.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Thanks Barry. Very insightful.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

I suppose this is a case where less is more. I will defer to your review of this title and skip it. Is it the newly added material where you see the difference in video quality?

I don't own a copy of the original Superman on Blu-ray, but will put the Donner version at the top of my list when the time comes.

Thanks for the review, Barry.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    I suppose this is a case where less is more. I will defer to your review of this title and skip it. Is it the newly added material where you see the difference in video quality?

I don't own a copy of the original Superman on Blu-ray, but will put the Donner version at the top of my list when the time comes.

Thanks for the review, Barry.
    mosstly yes. But the beginning, in all bright white Krypton looks bad here. Get the Donner edition of Su*perman 2 also. It’s great.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc