3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

The new Blade Runner

I saw the new Blade Runner today. May I warn you not to buy the big popcorn at the concession stands before this movie. And the reason is if you buy that you will have to buy the big soda that You will need to finish your popcorn. You see, the movie with coming attractions is over three hours and you will have to take a bathroom break no matter how strong you are and miss part of the movie.

If you liked the first one, you will like this. As I mentioned before, the original release of the first movie seemed incomplete, it was. The Directors final edition, Released on Blu-ray just recently was an outstanding picture and I suggest you see that before you see this.

If you didn’t like the first one I would not bother with this one. And someways it’s less of a sequel and more of an independent movie but the premise remains consistent as do the mysteries.

I Saw in IMAX and not 3D. The image was very effective and projecting what the director wanted you to see and feel. That is, a very polluted misty the world. The image is therefore we’re not as sharp as colorful as they were in the first movie. Also missing was the outstanding and effective soundtrack led by composer Vangelis. . That was the thing I miss the most. The surroundsound was unusually effective and rather terrific.

The three main stars of the first movie do appear in this one either in cameos or in the last hour Harrison Ford. For a man in his 70s he does great action adventure work. You can tell when they use stunt doubles but he was so effective.

I however do not know how to give you even a synopsis of the movie without giving away some of this surprises and things you just really need to see. The movie builds a plot around certain points and I don’t want to give that’s way.

I had to pay close attention to everything, more so than most movies. I will have to see the movie a second time to pick up a few things that I think I missed. So pay attention.
    Last edited by Lefisc; 10-11-2017 at 10:13 PM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Thanks Barry...I'll wait for the home video release so I can pause the movie
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I didn't really care for the original but we've discussed my lack of seeing the Director's Final Edition before.

I am still willing to give it a rent. This way I too can pause, and watch it a second time if needed. Thanks for the review, Barry.

I fixed an error. I wanted to say what I missed The most was the soundtrack from the composer named Vangelis. It was electronic music that fit perfectly into the movie.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

I also have to revisit the original movie via the director's cut and then will check this one out on blu ray.

Thanks for the review.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    i was blown away by 2049. cant believe they made it. it is not for everyone. but i was in heaven, if heaven was a sci-fi cool polluted future.

gosling must have read the script and said while grinning, "i have how much screen time?". dude is a handsome man, damn him.

ive learned from watching all the other Villeneuve films that they move along like the presidents ride at disney that spun around through the different presidents, for those old enough to remember it. pace is the same in all scenes, some will have action, some drama and some just visuals. i hope that is an effective analogy.

gorgeous film i will have to see at least a couple more times. and yes, some questions from the first are answered, but i found a lot more questions in this one.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
    THIS IS THE BEST-LOOKING FILM EVER MADE

Villenueve finally delivers. After the very cool but too-impenetrable-for-its-own-good Enemy, the decent but unbelievably dour and depressing Prisoners, the OK Sicario, and the disastrous Arrival, he finally made the movie I've been waiting for him to make and totally caught me off guard.

I was NOT a fan of the original. Looked cool (but FX mostly looked very fake, those miniatures were almost quaint even then) but it was boring and unfocused. (Given all the drama where Scott was fired and the producers re-edited it or whatever, I'm not surprised.) Ford was... odd. And not very interesting. Daryl Hannah and Rutger Hauer was awesome though.

I was not looking forward to this movie. I went because my date has a crush on Ryan Gosling. Can't blame her.

I never thought I'd be saying "If you love Tarkovsky, you'll love this" about a major studio release, but this movie is basically Tarkovsky meets Kubrick, with a dash of Scott left in.

Yes, it's almost three hours. It honestly felt like about 90m to me. Ford is fantastic- he finally acts again! After sleepwalking through crap for like two decades he reminds us that, yes, he is actually a real actor, and not just Indiana Jones/Han Solo. Gosling is great- if you liked him in Drive, you'll like him here. Even Jared Leto - Jared Leto I say - was great.

But all my gushing is subjective. The thing that isn't is the fact that I was a little late to the movie, so I planned to get situated (seats were reserved) then go grab some drinks and candy. (I had not eaten all day due to work demands atm.) I sat down and didn't move until it was over, completely forgot how starving and thirsty I was.

Having said all that- what the hell was the studio thinking? A 150m budget for a three-hour sequel to a flop cult movie? Cult films by definition have a small yet vocal group of fans, and this movie is NOT a mainstream flick. It's also about 3hrs long. It grossed almost 20m below estimates (which seemed way too high anyway) and will likely make around 100m in US, no idea how a film like this will play in China. But it will win every technical Oscar and Ford probably a supporting actor one.

And I haven't even gotten to the visuals. Wow. I kept saying to myself "Man, that is one of the best shots/sets/costumes/etc ever", only to keep saying it throughout. The orginal film provides the aesthetic blueprint, but it's greatly expanded upon here. At no point did the effects "break" and become apparent. Everything just looked real, almost to the point of not seeming impressive, as in the last two Apes movies. It was just real-looking.

It's slow but riveting. (In this way its more like Tarkovsky in that Kubrick can be slow and boring, but Tarkovsky can have a 4min uninterrupted take of a stream (see Solaris and Stalker) and keep you invested.

Go see this in a theater. Go see this in the theater.
    Last edited by Brandon Eberhart; 10-14-2017 at 05:35 PM.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Wow, great reviews guys..
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.