Westworld (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  westworld.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  21.8 KB

Plot
    Based on the film written by best-selling author Michael Crichton (ER, Jurassic Park films), Westworld is a dark odyssey about the dawn of artificial consciousness and evolution of sin. Set at the intersection of the near future and a reimagined past, the series explores a world in which every human appetite, no matter how noble or depraved, can be indulged.

My Thoughts
    The series was adapted and created by Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy and is produced by J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot Productions and Kilter Films. With this backing, I thought it would be something that I would enjoy immensely. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case.

While the cinematography, acting, and sci-fi aspect of the story intrigued me, the overt violence and over the top sexual scenery were a bit too much—even for an unrated pay cable outlet. Furthermore, the story goes along at a glacial pace and 10 episodes is just too much. With some much needed editing, it could have easily been 7 or 8 episodes. Furthermore, by episode three I pretty much knew what would happen and it did.

Video 9/10 (MVC)

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Inside Look with Jonah Nolan and Lisa Joy
    • Imagining the Main Title
    • The Key to The Chords
    • Gag Reel
    • Welcome to Westworld
    • Crafting the Narrative
    • An invitation to the Set
    • Welcome to Westworld: About the Series
    • Reality of A.I.: Westworld
    • “The Big Moment” Featurette
    • UV Digital Copy

Conclusion
    The show it quite popular and I’m sure there’s a lot of people who will overlook the issues I had with it. The presentation is very good and I really enjoyed the sound design and cinematography, but the graphic nature of the story ultimately turned me off. I’d maybe give it a rent to see if it’s your cup of tea before committing to a purchase.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I have been wanting to see this series, so I hope to give it a rent or pick it up during the holidays.

It seems a bit like Sons of Anarchy meets The Matrix, which for me is a good thing. Thanks for the review David.

Greetings,

I enjoyed the series. I do agree that it could use a nip/tuck here and there, but overall, worth checking out. Thanks Dave.
    Regards,

Ralph C.Potts
    AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Thanks for the review. I am also interested in this one. Will check it out.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

i think the graphic violence was necessary for the story. it shows how desensitized the visitors became after the initial shock, much less repeat visitors.

says a lot about those feelings that people keep hidden away in a corner of their minds. the park gives them the opportunity to open that door, and boy what comes out is ugly.

to tracy's point comparing it to the Matrix. in the movie, prior iterations of the Matrix failed when they made it a perfect society. they had to muck it up in order for the humans to accept their new reality.

im sure it was the same in Westworld. but that world soon devolved as well.