The Crown: Season One (Blu-ray) review

Name:  crown.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  18.4 KB

Plot
    The British Empire is in decline, the political world is in disarray, and a young woman takes the throne...a new era is dawning. Queen Elizabeth II is a 25-year-old newlywed faced with the daunting prospect of leading the world’s most famous monarchy while forging a relationship with legendary Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill. Golden Globe®-winner for Best TV Drama Series, “The Crown”, created by Peter Morgan, explores the Queen’s private journey behind the public facade with daring frankness.

My Thoughts
    Netflix is on a roll when it comes to original series, and this along with Stranger Things have eclipsed House of Cards as my favorite dramas the network has produced. For $12 per month, Netflix is a damn bargain for what you get entertainment wise and if you don’t subscribe, you should do so at least for a few months to have a taste of their original productions.

As for The Crown, it follows the life of Queen Elizabeth II from her childhood to her becoming the Queen at such a young age (and a position she still holds to this day!). While the interpersonal conversations are probably not very accurate, the history around the meetings is mostly true and the writers are able to extrapolate how decisions were made based upon actual history. I’d love to be a fly on the wall when the actual Queen watches an episode (if she even dares), but regardless, it’s wildly entertaining and informative.

The first season plays out over 10 episodes presented on four discs. Netflix showed the film in 4K (sans UHD treatment of HDR), but I’m guessing that the second season will get the full UHD treatment just like the recently released second season of Stranger Things. The Blu-ray presentation is more stable that the 4K stream I watched mainly due to less compression, especially noticeable in solid colors in backgrounds. Regardless of whether you stream the show or watch it on Blu-ray, it’s the entertainment value that counts.

Video 5/5 (AVC)

Audio 4.5/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• None

Conclusion
    This is one of my favorite shows on TV and I can’t wait for Season Two which is coming to Netflix December 8. If you enjoy the series as much as I do, I’d consider getting the Blu-ray set to get the highest quality presentation possible and you can watch it without having Internet access! Highly recommended.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Thanks for the review. I saw this on netflix and I agree, it is a great series.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

since Downton Abbey was shelved, my wife and I have been missing it badly.

have this on my list to watch but havent put in the time for it. glad to see u like it. will give it a try.