Thread: Justice League

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Justice League

A review of Justice League

I saw the Justice League movie in Imax today. There were maybe 25 people in the theatre. The picture was a bit dark but the surround sound was very good. I enjoyed the movie; it was good, not great. If you like super-hero movies, you’d like this one, if you don’t, you won’t. The movie structurally is similar to X-Men Apocalypse.

The Justice League of America, was one of the most important comics every printed. They first appeared in The Brave and the Bold #28 (March 1960) and, as a very good seller, soon got their own comic. When Martin Goodman, publisher of what we now call Marvel, discovered that is sold well, he asked his editor and writer, Stan Lee, to create a super team for Marvel. He did, and the Fantastic Four was created and the Marvel Age of Comics was born.

This movie is a bit lighter than Man of Steel and Batman vs. Superman but is still a bit too dark for its own good. The cast includes s Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Gal Gadot, Ezra Miller, Jason Momoa, Ray Fisher, Jeremy Irons, and Diane Lane.

The movie unites Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman (a fish literally out of water here, he spends most of the movie on dry land); The Flash (not the TV one but a new incarnation) and Cyborg. The film was directed by Zack Snyder with Joss Whedon, with Whedon also doing some of the screenwriting. Whedon had written and directed the two Avengers movies, so you see what direction DC wants their franchise to go.

There is a structural problem with the movie. The Marvel movies introduced most of their characters in their own movies. Here, they had to introduce Cyborg, The Flash and Aquaman and then have time to show the creation of the League, the revival of Superman (That’s not a spoiler, we all knew he was in the movie) and the introduction of a villain, Steppenwolf.

Steppenwolf is about as unimaginable a villain as you can get. He is never interesting, or for that matter threatening and you knew the league was going to win. While the special effects are often good, some parts look like cartoons, Wonder Woman had that same problem. Steppy tries to obtain the three Mother boxes, connect to Darkseid, to become, he says, one of the “New Gods.” Comic book fans will recognize that as references to Jack Kirby’s Fourth World. It is a similar premise to what is driving the Marvel Universe. There Thanos is trying to get the super crystals together to conquer the universe. They too were created by Jack Kirby. There are a great many fight scenes in the movie.

Gal Gadot was the standout here again. With a male director, I guess, she was often shown very grim, (or bored?) with tight clothes, with less humanity and purpose than she had in her own movie. Ezra Miller plays a young Barry Allen, the Flash, with a great deal of fun and some humor. He lighten ups the movie too. Afflack as Batman and Cavill as Superman are not bad, but neither are impressive or memorable. The movie was mostly fun and I was never bored, even when they used technobabble in their discussion on Superman.

Stick around when the credits roll, there are TWO features, one at the very end, another nod to Marvel’s moviemaking.

Spoiler Alert, I guess.
    Superman was mostly dead, but not completely dead. With Billy Crystal not available (see Princess Bride) he is revived by the JLA and is given a new brighter blue costume. Amy Adams is allowed to do some acting here, she wasnt in the first two movies.

Just in case you don’t know: The original Justice SOCIETY of America appeared in All Star Comics beginning in 1940. It was published by All American Comics, not DC. All those characters (Flash, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman) were later bought by DC.
    Name:  Justice Society.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  100.9 KB
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Barry,

I'm bothered that they didn't use Grant Gustin from the TV show as "The Flash." This makes no sense to me what-so-ever. Then again, that show has gone down hill this year and maybe I won't care by the time I see this when it hits UHD Blu-ray. Most of the critics didn't like this one though...Vanity Fair had a scathing review of it.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    I can imagine what you are talking about in reference to having to introduce the new characters, form the Justice League, and then have a coherant story. It seems like a lot to accomplish in one film.

I fear their background stories might be lost or at least rushed. However, I'm going to grab it when it hits Blu-ray.

Thanks for the review, Barry.

Thanks for the review. I will check it out on blu as well.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

David, a two part answer and please read the second part!!!!!

Created in 1938, the super hero genre began to fade by the end of WW2 and was almost all gone by the early 1950s.

DC, beginning in 1956, began to bring the super-heroes back by totally redoing them, with new identities and such. They were wrong to think that comics were o for 12 years old because older readers began to ask “What happened to the first Flash, Green Lantern, etc.” So DC published, The Flash of Two Worlds” in The Flash #123 (Sept. 1961). They explained a new Flash met the old, that there was a multiverse, several different universes in the DC system. They have mined that for years. For example, there is another Superman on Supergirl, and Superman Returns, the movie had totally different characters than Smallville.

Stan Lee invented the ONE UNIVERSE concept for Marvel, completely forgetting, or erasing their previous history.

Not the head of DC, I heard the head of Marvel discuss whey the movies and SHIELD TV show are not very integrated (except for a couple of guest appearances.) The movies, he said, are planned years in advance. The director and stars are given a schedule and a script way in advance. There is no way they can successful align that with a weekly TV show whose status change every week, and may be cancelled. So it really would be impossible for the Flash to film his show, 25 episodes, and be available for a movie.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Saw this yesterday, but only because I had a few hours to kill while my car was getting new tires and the theater was close by. Wouldn't have seen it otherwise as I HATED Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad and Man of Steel. Wonder Woman was *good* but not as amazing as I had heard.

So my expectations were loooooooooow.

I was pleasantly surprised that the movie wasn't terrible. It wasn't great, or even good, but it was OK. Saw it in 3D, which I usually hate, but that showtime worked out for me while I was waiting for the car.

It felt pretty disjointed, and the humorous parts were welcome, but also felt out of place. Clearly they are pivoting the whole DC universe to be more like Marvel.

The action was my least favorite part of the movie, and there was less than expected. It was hard to follow, such a mess of CGI and quick cuts. As Barry said (and everyone knows) Superman is in it, and suddenly he acts like, well, Superman. (After he overcomes his amnesia.) They even play a few bars from the original Donner films score at one point- holy out of place, Batman! It was nice to hear though, but another thing that made it so clear they were trying to backtrack and have a Superman who isn't a depressed mass murderer.

It looked and felt like 90% of the movie was shot against a green screen. It really did look like a videogame a lot of the time, and not in a good way. Overall the effects were not very good, which is kind of baffling for a $300m movie. It's very clear that many, many different FX houses worked on it, to varying degrees of success. But its also the style and overall design.

I liked the Cyborg storyline, was pretty interesting, and I'm not familiar with the character so it was nice to see something that felt (sort of) fresh.

Gal Godot was great, and while the Flash was funny and charismatic, I didn't like how they portrayed his powers. When he ran it was a blurry mess of lightning/electrical effects. I haven't read The Flash in awhile (like 25 years while) but I don't remember him doing that. But (again) Marvel really nailed the depiction of superspeed with Quicksilver in the last two X-Men movies, so they didn't even try to outdo that, and went in another direction.

Affleck looked like he just woke up (and wanted to go back to sleep) most of the time. Aquaman was better than I thought, but still, who cares about Aquaman? Seemed like they went out of their way to involve water-related threats so the guy with watersomething powers could jump in and save everyone.

As in the previous movies, Lois Lane is pointless.

On the flipside it's interesting that Thor: Ragnorok came out just a few weeks ago. DC is obviously trying for a lighter, more humourous Marvel-like tone, so it's almost like Marvel expected it and made Thor a full-on comedy, as if to say "Nice job trying to play catch up and copy us by adding some comedy to your movies. Oh, by the way, we just made the funniest superhero movie ever, because we felt like it. *yawn*. Top that."

Synopsis: It's not terrible. But if you liked Batman v. Superman, the tone is radically different and however misguided Snyder was with this whole thing was, at least he was trying to do something different.(See also: The Star Wars prequels.) (See also also: Nolan's Batman trilogy, except that was actually good.) If you didn't like B v S this one goes out of its way to win you over, but it feels pretty desperate and insincere.

BEST PART: It's only two hours long.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Brandon hit it right on the head when he wrote, "It wasn't great, or even good, but it was OK." That sums it up.

Let me add just something about the Thor movie. The Thor movies have NOT been the most popular at the box office, although certainly not a failure by any means. They spent the entire last movie humanizing him. They took away his hammer, gave him a normal haircut, destroyed Asgard, home of the Gods, and gave him humourous dialogue, making him more identifiable with the audience. They also humanized Loki, he was no longer just evil. And Hiddleston was just perfect again, perhaps better than Thor.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

Saw justice league last night. Like the rest, I was entertained, but felt like it was forced.

I really liked MoS and really enjoyed BvS, so this looked like WB cut the rug from under Snyder and patched something together.

Whatever momentum was picked up by the success of WW I feel was lost with this.

I can only hope there is a Snyder cut of the film, but we will probably just get an extended cut.

With all of the deleted scenes popping up on the net u can tell there is a lot of anger about how WB and DC handled this.

I watched it last night and I agree with Barry's assessment. Not a bad movie, but not that good either. The first act is rushed to introduce everyone and it feels forced, the story is pretty dark, and the ending can be seen a mile away. Gadot looks great though
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Gadot looks great though
    Quite possibly the main reason to buy.