Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  HP1.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  24.5 KB

Plot
    Adapted from J.K. Rowling’s bestselling book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone is the story of the boy who lived. Placed with his unloving Aunt and Uncle as a baby, he grew up in the muggle world until rescued by Professor Albus Dumbledore, headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where Harry will spend the next seven years of his life in order to fulfill his destiny.

My Thoughts
    I’ve read every Harry Potter book multiple times and am a fan of the movies even after all of these years. The films have been released a few times on Blu-ray and is the proverbial cash cow for Warner Brothers—who can blame them? Back in March of this year, the last four films were released on UHD Blu-ray which surprised many, including myself, as to the release schedule. It turns out that there was a reason to the madness—Warner went back and did completely a new 4K scan on the original film elements for this film (and #2) and the results are spectacular. This movie has never looked better.

The audio was also redone to include a DTS:X track, which is also a crowd pleaser. There are plenty of overhead effects and the rear soundstage is engaging throughout the film.

Video 10/10 (MVC)

Audio 9.5/10 (DTS:X)

Special Features (included on two Blu-ray discs):

• Introduction by Daniel Radcliffe (Blu-ray version of the movie)
    • Creating the World of Harry Potter Part 1: The Magic Begins
    • A Glimpse into the World of Harry Potter
    • Additional Footage
    • Trailers and TV Spots
    • Blu-ray + UV Digital Copy

Conclusion
    I’ve seen this movie countless times and I still enjoy it a lot. It follows the book very closely—a smart move by Christopher Columbus as to not face the wrath of the Potter fans. It’s neat watching it today knowing how the story ends and having seen these wonderful child actors grow up before our own eyes. The 4K presentation is outstanding and is a must have for fans. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by David Vaughn; 11-21-2017 at 05:55 PM.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Well, I didn't know this one was coming out and I'm a HUGE Harry Potter book and movie fan.

For those of us who run 1080p projectors, would you say that this release is an improvement video-wise over the original Blu-ray release?

No...same Blu-ray encode. 4K gets a new encode.
    David Vaughn

Looks like you are having a UHD Harry Potter Marathon!

Lucky you!
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Yes...I really enjoy these movies even after seeing them so many times. I hadn't sat down to watch the first four since 2010, although I had caught snippets here and there when channel surfing.
    David Vaughn

I rewatch them periodically. I saw Sorcerer's Stone a couple of weeks ago and Chamber of Secrets last week. Now that you've posted all the 4K reviews, I may spin Prisoner of Azkaban in the next day or two.

I was reading the series while my wife was pregnant and made it to Order of the Pheonix when we were in the hospital for delivery. We were there almost a week so I read most of it during that time. I suppose that's one reason why I like the story as much as I do.

David Vaughn

This (sort of) was the final addition to my movie collection loot yesterday I didn't realize these had been out this long till I went looking for the review here. I'd seen them mentioned recently in a "movies with bass" thread and thought they came out this summer. I got the entire 4K box set yesterday. I was interested in it since I like the movies of course and have heard the new DTS:X tracks on the 4K discs are amazing. I have a number of Atmos titles but DTS:X only a few. Seems with the positional audio stuff Dolby is becoming the bigger name where it seemed DTS MA was everywhere and TrueHD was pretty scarce for most of the standard blu-ray period (or maybe I was just watching movies from studios/directors that prefer DTS). Or maybe it's just too early to tell since many receivers only just got DTS:X support in the last year. Also as you said it will be interesting watching the actors all grow up and not have to wait years to see it happen
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

Wow! That DTS:X track is amazing! The quidditch match had me wanting to duck a few times. I've been kinda nervous about only having front overheads after hearing you really need all four to get the best effect but I was pretty convinced regardless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

Just an addendum to my comments on only having 5.1.2 vs 5.1.4. So sometimes it's not 100% convincing like rain overhead sometimes will sound more like it's a bit in front like if you were standing outside but say at the edge of some covering keep it off you directly. However I wonder if some of that has to do with how Atmos processes its sound vs DTS:X because this movie for instance the scene near the beginning where Harry is under the stairs and the other kid comes running down and jumps up and down on the stairs first. It literally sounded like someone was up on the second floor over us jumping up and down. Maybe DTS:X does a better job and performing with only 2 heights that Atmos or something.