Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

In my experience, 50 hours would be a minimum to get a speaker broken in completely.

I remember reviewing a pair of Episode tower speakers for Jerry. I tried a few days of casual listening and the speakers still sounded tight. The company rep contacted me to see how I was enjoying the speakers. I explained what I was hearing and he says, give them some power and don't baby them. After a couple more days of more aggressive playing, the speakers finally opened up and the sound was night and day different.

In the end, I bet I had close to 100 hours on them before I was happy enough to make some proper observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    In my experience, 50 hours would be a minimum to get a speaker broken in completely.

I remember reviewing a pair of Episode tower speakers for Jerry. I tried a few days of casual listening and the speakers still sounded tight. The company rep contacted me to see how I was enjoying the speakers. I explained what I was hearing and he says, give them some power and don't baby them. After a couple more days of more aggressive playing, the speakers finally opened up and the sound was night and day different.

In the end, I bet I had close to 100 hours on them before I was happy enough to make some proper observations.
    Yeah I've read various opinions on break in and it sounds like maybe some models don't benefit at all and others like these Chane's and those Episode's you had do. I think even the SVS center had some break in on it because after a week of pretty good use it sounded different from when I first unboxed it as well.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT series satellites/center
    SVS PB-2000
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony 950
    Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR

Some people say that it's a case of the buyer getting used to the sound of a new pair of speakers. However, in my experience speaker break-in is real.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Some people say that it's a case of the buyer getting used to the sound of a new pair of speakers. However, in my experience speaker break-in is real.
    Yeah I think that's what I was trying to say. Some speakers might not benefit but some apparently definitely do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    SVS PB-2000
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony 950

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Picked up some wood shim material today to more effectively angle the centers up at ear level to make sure both myself and the Audyssey software are hearing the true sound coming out while doing sound evaluation. Verified with a laser pointer it's right on.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    SVS PB-2000
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony 950

In the "old days", ahem, a popular technique for break in was to select inter station hiss on FM, turn it up really loud, and leave the house for a few hours. Anyone remember that?
    JR

LOL never heard of that. I did see a write-up about break in from the designer at Chane. He explains the mechanics of why their speakers are supposed to benefit from a break in period, but he also says there's no need to follow what is more the "snake oil" approach of "you must play these frequencies for this specific amount of time.........while standing on your head and rubbing your belly". He says just play normal content whether you're there for it or not.

That's pretty much the approach I've been using, just leaving the receiver on while I'm not in the room and doing other things. Should be pretty well through the recommended period tonight or tomorrow evening at the latest. I'll be re-running Audyssey after. I'd expect to see some differences in the post correction EQ graph for the Chane when I do if there really was a break in effect.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    SVS PB-2000
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony 950

Quote Originally Posted by jerrich View Post
    In the "old days", ahem, a popular technique for break in was to select inter station hiss on FM, turn it up really loud, and leave the house for a few hours. Anyone remember that?
    JR
    I thought it was if your CRT had image retention or burn in, you could tune to an unused television station and the static would fix it.

So I re-ran audyssey calibration now that the Chane has about 25-30 hours on it since Friday (yeah I've been letting it just run). I compared my pictures of both correction graphs and there's a noticeable change (same mic positions same conditions etc.). Much less boost and cuts in some areas (treble especially) and also -0.5dB level adjustment for the volume as well. Seems these really do need some time. I'm going to re-run it one last time after the time on it doubles in a few days. Will be interesting to see where it ends up.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    SVS PB-2000
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony 950