Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Been talking to some guys over on AVS Forum. What do you guys think of KEF's Q series? Thinking now of running those with an SVS sub. 350's/650c in front and 150's rear with two atmos modules up front. Going to be buying hopefully within about the next 4-5 months max now as my vehicle is finally paid off and that money is going to be turned into new speakers finally.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

I haven't heard any KEF speakers, so I can't be much help there.

These, certainly look impressive.

Name:  KEF_Q_black_and_white.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  30.0 KB

If only I could afford the floorstanding ones. I think I could actually drive them since 2/3's of the bottom cones are actually passive radiators but each one is nearly the cost of the pair of Q350's I'm looking at from them for the fronts if I go with KEF.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

I've never priced them. What the going price of the 950s? Looks like the 350s are around $650 each.

The 950's are $899 each on their direct site. I haven't checked Amazon or anywhere else.

I'm hoping this weekend to get over to Best Buy and/or the BB Magnolia Design Center and a place called Paradigm Sound & Vision which is a local hi-fi/home theater chain that carries some high end stuff and do some demoing of some things I've seen recommended. Martin Logan, some Klipsch RP series stuff, etc.

Also last time I was at the Magnolia Design place they actually had SVS satellites but I didn't listen to them. Should probably do that to at least get some idea since if I do SVS I'll have those as rear surrounds with the bookshelf version up front. The tweeter is the same just a different woofer and bigger enclosure and I've heard mixed reviews on the tweeters in the Prime series.

Yes, go and listen to every speaker that you can. It's difficult since you can't take them home and listen to them in your room, but hopefully you can judge if the speaker will meet your needs.

Let us know what you find and your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Yes, go and listen to every speaker that you can. It's difficult since you can't take them home and listen to them in your room, but hopefully you can judge if the speaker will meet your needs.

Let us know what you find and your thoughts.
    Planning to get out this weekend to do listening. Will let you guys know what I find. Didn't make it out last weekend as planned.

Quote Originally Posted by cpaluda View Post
    Planning to get out this weekend to do listening. Will let you guys know what I find. Didn't make it out last weekend as planned.
    Yes, please post back on what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Yes, please post back on what you find.
    Did some listening today at a Best Buy Magnolia Design Center. They didn't have much on my list of stuff I was hoping to check out but did get to listen to a few cool things and get some ideas. We ran everything off of a marantz NR-1608 to be as close to the power/etc. of my 1606.

They had a pair of SVS Prime Satellites in the store so I listened to those. I was really surprised how full the sound was considering the size of the room it was in while listening to music through them with no sub. I think they'd be the perfect size for rear satellites if I can't fit anything bigger. I've read some people don't like the tweeters on them but I didn't have any problems with them.

Next up were Martin Logan Motion 15's. Much fuller sound as expected and the tweeters were nicer on music. Or maybe the extra range on the low end made it seem like it. I noticed the bass could be a bit boomy though.

Lastly were B&W 707's because they didn't have any KEF stuff but the rep said they should sound similar because they have a pair of KEF's wireless LS50W's and they're close in sound. The LS50W's are if I remember what I read in reviews very similar in sound to the passive Q150 bookshelf speakers. The B&W's are 2x the price of the KEF non-powered though only about 60% of the cost of the powered/wireless/etc LS50W's. Anyway, These were definitely the best of the bunch. Both the Martin and the B&W were ported but the B&W was not boomy at ALL. Bass was tight and full and highs were great.

Next we threw some action movie stuff in the mix and went to surround with unknown in ceiling for the rear and a SVS SB-2000 sub. We only compared the Martin and B&W's for that and used a Motion 30 center and a B&W I believe HTM71 S2 3 way center which is like $1300 and way out of my price range but I don't think they had the $800 HTM72 2 way and I didn't know enough about the B&W to ask so I might have to go back and check on listening to one.

The B&W carried over the music capability to the movie scene (the last Star Trek where the old ship is sliding down the cliff). Sound was clear and full, but that should be expected I guess considering that center channel is absolutely massive (which is why I'd really want to demo the smaller one to see the difference). The Martin on the other hand was "ok" in comparison. It was very thin sounding and the different tweeter design that was great for music was not as clear for a center channel and movies. However if KEF's center channel carries a similar sound to the B&W and the HTM72 B&W sounds better than the Martin then it would still be a win.

Final demo was the LS50W from KEF via just bluetooth streaming Five Finger Death Punch's cover of House of the Rising Sun. I wasn't sure during the intro, but once the main song kicked in with the chorus and all the instruments, wow. If the Q150's sound anywhere close to that (same size/type drivers different enclosure) I know what I want to run.
    Last edited by cpaluda; 03-25-2018 at 06:28 PM.