Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

I'll be following up with SVS on this too but I think it's just going to cause me less headaches in the end designing the shelving/etc. to just go with the PB over the PC design. Plus I have to figure out if there will be issues with the port on the cylinder if it's stuff in the corner like that and the PB won't have that issue.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT series satellites/center
    SVS PB-2000
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony 950
    Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR

Quote Originally Posted by cpaluda View Post
    I'll be following up with SVS on this too but I think it's just going to cause me less headaches in the end designing the shelving/etc. to just go with the PB over the PC design. Plus I have to figure out if there will be issues with the port on the cylinder if it's stuff in the corner like that and the PB won't have that issue.
    Unless they have made a major redesign that I am unaware of, the cylinder subs are ported out of the top, under the metal grill. If there's nothing on top of the sub totally blocking it, it shouldn't be an issue.

The cylinder subs will take up less floor space, but I can see where building your cabinetry might be more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Unless they have made a major redesign that I am unaware of, the cylinder subs are ported out of the top, under the metal grill. If there's nothing on top of the sub totally blocking it, it shouldn't be an issue.

The cylinder subs will take up less floor space, but I can see where building your cabinetry might be more complicated.
    The PC-2000 vents out the "back" near the bottom under the control panel. The next model up has the triple ports at the top but I think $1200 is going to be out of the price range by the time I fit the other stuff in.

Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    SVS PB-2000
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony 950

I stand corrected.

I stand corrected.
    No word from KEF yet. Wondering if I'll actually get a reply. I don't know what their customer service/etc. is supposed to be like compared to SVS for instance who have always been quick to respond and helpful with suggestions on what to use. I'm starting to think I should just go with SVS all around like I originally planned.

I had some suggestions from avsforum to use some smaller speakers from Q Acoustics instead for surrounds and that when I moved to a new place I could always move the KEF Q150's to the rear and upgrade the front L/R to something bigger. They were recommending Q because it was a British mfr. like KEF and apparently would have a similar sound, but then I also looked at the specs and besides being harder to drive (6 vs 8 ohm same sensitivity) they're also much cheaper materials in the speaker construction. Laminated paper woofers and coated fabric tweeters.

Ugh this is stressful. I wonder though is there any real issue other than looks with running the larger 12h x 11d x 7w KEF in the rear?
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    SVS PB-2000
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony 950

Anyone have opinions on JBL? I keep getting recommendations for some JBL and also Polk Signature and Klipsch RP series stuff as well. Although I can't say I was impressed with the horn sound on the Klipsch when I listened to some but they were sitting on the main floor on a shelf in Best Buy so not really ideal either. Seems like everything though is roughly about the same size physically. I really don't want to buy stuff and then have to send it back. At the same time I also have to get mounting/install solutions set up for whatever I go with so I'm not sure how I could set things up even to demo them before having to potentially send them back. Starting to wish for the "simpler" days where I just walked into a store clueless and said "this is my $$$ what should I buy" and walked out with it.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    SVS PB-2000
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony 950

Got out to Paradyme Sound & Vision a local non-big box audio shop today to listen to stuff. Ended up not demo'ing a whole lot but I got to listen to golden ears aon 3's with a SBS pb-2000 and a golden ears 10" sub. I liked the sound of the bookshelf though I'd probably be going for the aon 2 for the smaller footprint if I did. I was really impressed with the output of the 3 with no subwoofer though. My only concern with something like that is the passive radiators and placing them with a wall on one side like that cubby where my TV is at. I was also much more impressed with the SB-2000 vs. the demo at Best Buy Mangolia design center in the massive demo room. Has me thinking maybe I could get away with the SB instead of the PB-2000. I could also tell the difference between it and the similarly priced 10" golden ears. There was a lot more subsonic stuff with the 12 (demo'ing the same music track).
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    SVS PB-2000
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony 950

I haven't heard the GoldenEar Aons but I am absolutely in love with the Triton line.

Which GE sub were you listening to, the ForceField 4 or the SuperSub X? I have the SuperSub X and in my room it actually outperforms my older SVS 20-39 CS+.

I haven't heard the GoldenEar Aons but I am absolutely in love with the Triton line.

Which GE sub were you listening to, the ForceField 4 or the SuperSub X? I have the SuperSub X and in my room it actually outperforms my older SVS 20-39 CS+.
    The 10" ForceField series. I think right now I'm leaning toward just going KEF Q 150 front L/R the Q series center and either 150's in the back or ??? to pair with them and a PB-2000. Someone on AVS forum recommended something that I forget offhand to pair with the KEF for the rear that would be slightly smaller based on that it was another British company so "would have the same sound profile" but now that I know about ferro-fluid tweeters being able to dry up and lose performance and those speakers that were recommended for surrounds have those I'd prefer to avoid buying ferro-fluid cooled tweeters again. It would be cheaper to go SVS all around, but those bookshelf are really big due to the 6" driver in them.

I also need to figure out which Bowers speakers I demo'd at Magnolia a couple months ago. I did really like the sound but I think they were also much more $$$ than I was looking to spend so that would not work for 4 of them.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    SVS PB-2000
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony 950

Well, I think I've come to a conclusion on how to finish this process. I'm going with the PB-2000 cause the PC is just not realistically going to work in the space. I don't want to stuff it behind the entertainment unit which would have to have a cutout designed anyway to fit it. Just seems like a bad idea and I can always upgrade later in a new house or something. As far as mains someone on AVS had a good idea. I've been trying to figure it out by reviews/specs/etc. and worried I won't personally like it in the end/etc. (very few of the things I've looked at are available locally) so I'm going to see about demoing some centers and when I find one that works go with the matching models for the L/R/Surrounds.

I'll probably go with the SVS Elevation speakers for the Atmos speakers. I think the KEF or similar upfiring won't work with the long 16 ft from screen view area unless I set them on the rear surrounds instead of the front L/R. If I put them up front I think the sound will be bounced off the ceiling and come down in front of the listening area instead of over it. Or would there be any issues with putting upfiring Atmos speakers in the rear in a 5.1.2 setup vs up front?
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    SVS PB-2000
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony 950