Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Speaker/sub recommendations? SVS still?

Hi guys. A couple years ago I was looking at doing SVS speakers and sub. I never got around to collecting the money to do it and I'm still running my 15 year old Velodyne stuff complete with sub that goes into protection mode if I turn the volume up to high on bass heavy action movies. Next year I will be able to actually do the upgrade though.

I just wanted to check and see would the SVS bookshelf prime + a pair of their height speakers and a PB-2000 still be a good combo? I was also wondering about a PB-1000. My room is not too big right now, maybe about 10x16 if I'm remembering right but it's open on one side to the kitchen/dining area so really I guess that makes it probably closer to 18x16 or more. I'm guessing the PB-1000 might be considered "marginal" for this?

I definitely want the system to last a number of years and we won't live in this house forever so I guess "future proofing" would be a good idea although my receiver is a 7.2 setup so I guess I could add a second sub later in a new house if needed. What about the sealed subs for mostly TV/movie watching with occasional music? I seem to remember ported is supposed to be way better but how noticeable is it really?
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT series satellites/center
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony BDP-S550
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch
    Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR

You can never go wrong with a SVS sub and I have also read great things about the entire Prime line up. So, they are just as highly recommended in my book as they have ever been.

I updated my old SVS 20-39 CS+ last year. I was about to go with a newer SVS model but tried one of the new GoldenEar SuperSub X subs.

https://www.goldenear.com/products/s...series?gktab=1

This sub is unbelievable. My room is about 16x20x8 and it has no problem holding its own. Its response is flatter than my old sub and the combination of 2 8-inch drivers and the dual 10-1/2˝ x 9-1/2˝ planar infrasonic radiators, driven by a 1400 watt Class D Digital amp makes me wonder how the bass could possibly get better. The old SVS could not keep up as far as being impactful and was nowhere near as flat.

How would it compare to the PB-1000 or PB-2000 in a real in-room situation? I really couldn't say for sure but I don't regret my decision one bit.

If you go with SVS, I'd opt for the PB-2000 over the PB-1000. Whatever you do, please report back.

Ported vs Sealed

With everything else equal, generally, a ported sub will have greater output while a sealed sub will have better response on the low end. Some people will go farther to say that sealed subs are more musical or have a flatter in-room response.

Call SVS, they will be happy to talk you through the differences and make recommendations based on your room and viewing habits.

Thanks for the info! Yes I've been emailing back and forth with Dennis over at SVS this afternoon and just sent him a floorplan drawing with dimensions for more accurate recommendations. He hasn't seen that yet but during our discussion earlier he thinks a PB-2000 would probably work, but was initially recommending dual PB-1000's. I don't think I can fit those. So he also recommended a single pb-12 Plus. However that's really out of the price range, and that thing looks absolutely huge. That goldenear is interesting looking but also out of the price range I'm trying to stay in.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony BDP-S550
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

I use an SVS sub with my Focals.

Brent has reviewed them for us very favorably.

Dennis Burger has the new 4000 series subs in for review and CEA-2010 measurements. Early signs are that they are KILLERS - especially for the money.

Their speakers are better than they get credit for. I have heard them many times and like them. Yes, they are in a competitive spot but most spots are these days. I LOVE their effects speakers the most. I have heard that these are their best sellers. Only Definitive Technology and PSB (and Polk too) have comparably cool solutions for "object based surround".

I say buy SVS with confidence. The are one our best supporters and make great performance AND value products. I am a fan.

I have been thinking about buying a pair of their Prime Elevation speakers for my room. They would likely be my best option for adding Atmos in my theater due to the low ceiling height.

https://www.svsound.com/pages/prime-elevation

Any idea how the SVS bookshelf/satellite/etc. speakers will perform with a marantz nr-1606? Based on what I could find my old Velodyne stuff is supposedly 89db sensitivity. The SVS stuff is 87/86/85/87 for the bookshelf/center/satellites/height speakers. Is there a speaker brand that would be a better choice for my receiver? The NR1606 is 50W rated at 8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony BDP-S550
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch

Actually now I'm really confused. That amp spec I pulled out of a reply to my on an AVS Forum post. This is from the manual and earlier it says 70W x 7 channels so I think I'll be good? I don't know where they got the spec that it can only put out 50W in 2 channel mode (implying that it's likely less in multichannel output). The only other potential factor is the Velodyne are 6ohm the SVS are 8.

0 Power amplifier
    Rated output: Front:
    50 W + 50 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.08 % T.H.D.)
    70 W + 70 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.)
    Center:
    50 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.08 % T.H.D.)
    70 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.)
    Surround:
    Surround back:
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony BDP-S550
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch

Historically, I feel that Marantz is more "honest" when they rate their amps.

From the specs that you posted, you'll have 50 watts per channel to work with if the SVS speakers are 8 ohms. I like having more power at my disposal, but bet I rarely use it.

As a general rule, you have to double the wattage to realize a 3db increase in volume. Going from 70 watts with 6 ohm speakers to 50 watts with 8 ohm speakers means that in theory, you will be loosing around 1.5 db which isn't significant in my opinion.

The only speaker manufacturer that I can think of as being significantly more efficient is Tekton. Their monitors are rated at 94db but they are also $2K a pair. http://www.tektondesign.com/impact-monitor.html

They also have the Mini-Lore mid-towers, 94db for just over $700 a pair shipped. http://www.tektondesign.com/mini-lore.html

Ok thanks. Now if I can just nail down where to put the sub in the room I'll be set. SVS was recommending the cylinder after seeing my room layout but I did some measuring at lunch and I just don't think it's going to work. I'm trying to clear out the walkway where they're suggesting to put it not crowd it more (has a speaker stand near it now). See the attachment. The red squiggles are where the cylinder is being suggested to go. I'd be building a new in the wall unit to hold the TV, bookshelf speakers, and center channel anyway. The plan was to leave a cutout on the right side to slip a traditional sub box into (the PB-2000) and totally clear out the walkway.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony BDP-S550
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch