Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    It's official (semi) we're going out this afternoon to finally get a Sony X800. Even better is overnight the price dropped from 250 to 200 at Best Buy. Now the only thing I have to figure out since I'll be buying 4K discs to play downscaled to 1080p is should I enabled 4:4:4 mode on my TV input and the player or not. I never did on my current setup after reading nothing was sourced at that and was only 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 or something so 4:4:4 color was all just filled in like upscaling.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT series satellites/center
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch
    Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR

Looks like it's a universal price drop, I suspect they have a new version for 2018.

Amazon has it for $194.04 and Crutchfield for $199.99 as of this post. Looks like a great player.

Of course it just ended up stuck on a black screen after doing the update. Hope I didn't just buy a $200 paperweight ugh.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch

Well, got home from dinner 2 hours later and it was still "stuck". Pulled the power and then it started right up and was actually updated already.

Everything looks to be working great and the 4K version of Serenity I tested briefly (4K/blu-ray combo pack) looked to be working correctly as far as scaling down to my 1080p plasma. I thought the 4K picture looked nice and sharp (noticeably so) vs the blu-ray but then looked at reviews of the disc pack and the 4K version got dinged a lot for some bad PQ stuff in relation to colors, lighting, etc. I have the new Kingsman movie also though and I'll be checking both versions to see if I can spot any differences between the blu-ray and the downscaled 4K disc on my Panny plasma since both versions got good reviews, but the 4K with better color saturation.

Again, mostly the player was bought for access to the widest array of DTS:X and Atmos tracks to coincide with upgrading my 15+ year old 5.1 speakers to a 5.1.2 setup later this year. So far it's a massive upgrade to my 9 year old BDP-S550 though and was on sale for a great price and I expect to run it for quite a while.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch

You shouldn't notice any color difference between the two because the 1080p downscale will use Rec.709 that's used on the Blu-ray versus BT2020 for the UHD 4K disc. Before you know it, you'll be buying a 4K OLED
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Good to hear that everything is working now. Let us know which 4K displays you are considering.

Hahaha you guys are funny. I'd like to have a 4K TV but it's not happening this year. I still have to do my speaker upgrade and various other stuff going on. Would be really hard to sell the wife on it too but we'll see.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch

You guys have any opinion on running through my AVR vs straight to the TV? I've been chaining everything through the AVR since I got it, it's my first AVR with HDMI switching. I was running the DVE chroma plate test last night though trying to test the chroma subsampling settings (4:2:2, 4:4:4, etc.) and learned that when I have the AVR's "video conversion" turned on (with the scaler turned off though) so I can get the on screen displays as an overlay instead of taking over the screen it is seriously affecting the chroma at least in the test pattern. The center of the pattern is nice and bright the outer areas are noticeably dimmer. I turned off the conversion (losing the OSD in the process for that input) and the pattern looked consistent on the entire screen.

The X800 has dual outputs though so I'm thinking of using the audio HDMI output to the AVR and run the main output direct to the Panasonic instead just in case the receiver is still doing something to the signal even with the conversion stuff supposedly all off. I thought about turning it off on all the inputs but the OSD is kind of nice instead of trying to read the volume numbers on the panel from 12 feet away. What do you guys think? Am I overthinking this chroma pattern result?
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch

I'd just run one cable to the AVR and turn off the overlay of the menus. Either way, you lose the OSD from the AVR, but without having to complicate matters.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    I'd just run one cable to the AVR and turn off the overlay of the menus. Either way, you lose the OSD from the AVR, but without having to complicate matters.
    Ok, that's what I was thinking as well. Just wasn't sure if there was a possibility of the AVR still affecting things in some way even with "video conversion" turned off. I think I'll turn it off on the other inputs as well (it's per input). It's not like Xfinity is exactly a super high quality source but I suppose that just means it needs all the help it can get lol. Too bad there's not a channel that plays test patterns any longer. I remember when I had U-Verse back in 2009 they had access to the HDNet channel that used to broadcast test patterns once a week or so late at night.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch