Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need a new blu-ray player

Hey guys, looking at upgrading my ancient blu-ray player........by ancient I mean 2009 Sony bdp-s550, yes it's a dinosaur. I held onto it for so long because I needed the analog outputs until last year for my even older receiver I had. Now that I've moved into the age of HDMI receivers it's time for a new player. I had forever been thinking Oppo but I'm not so sure I need all the power of the 203 (205 is definitely out too much $$$). I'm still running a Panny plasma and don't foresee an upgrade to 4K until 65" OLED's come down in price by at least 33-50% of where they are now. Another forum was recommending the 203 or the Panny dmp-ub900.

Because I might hold onto the player for quite a while something like the Oppo with 4K capability is definitely intriguing but I wonder if i could get by with something like the $90 Sony s6700 even though it can't play 4K discs. I think my main requirements are blu-ray, 3D is fine but I don't have a lot of discs since the s550 didn't support it, and I'd like good DVD upscaling (480 to 1080) because I do still have quite a bit of DVD's that never got upgraded to blu-ray. I know the Oppo would be great at that, just not sure about the s6700 as an example. It may be too late anyway since I did put the Oppo on my wish list for Christmas, but I don't expect to actually get it.

edit: Just to note, I'm not concerned with streaming capabilities (netflix etc) as I already handle that via chromecast or other means.
    Last edited by cpaluda; 12-13-2017 at 04:36 PM.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Marantz NR-1606 | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Chromecast

The Oppo 4K player is a good choice, as well as the Panasonic players. I use the latest Samsung 4K player as a backup, but it only really gets used to stream 4K from Netflix and Amazon.

4K player prices will drop and if you aren't going to use 4K, then I'd just buy a Sony or Panasonic Blu-ray player for cheap and just live with it. The speed improvement alone will bring a smile to your face!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    The Oppo 4K player is a good choice, as well as the Panasonic players. I use the latest Samsung 4K player as a backup, but it only really gets used to stream 4K from Netflix and Amazon.

4K player prices will drop and if you aren't going to use 4K, then I'd just buy a Sony or Panasonic Blu-ray player for cheap and just live with it. The speed improvement alone will bring a smile to your face!
    Thanks! How would something like the Sony s6700 be for DVD upconversion to 1080?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Marantz NR-1606 | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Chromecast

Better than you'd probably think. The scaling on all players is pretty damn good these days because there's a lot more processing power than 10 years ago.
    David Vaughn

Better than you'd probably think. The scaling on all players is pretty damn good these days because there's a lot more processing power than 10 years ago.
    Ok thanks. Looks like I'll probably look into the s6700 then since I'm already running a Sony and have been pretty happy with it. I don't need 4K upscaling like some of the stuff in the middle has since I don't have a 4K TV and also my receiver can already 4K upscale. I guess at this point with the Oppo players being oriented towards 4K discs it would definitely be a waste of my money to buy one until I actually have a 4K display since who knows what they'll have out when that happens.

Hmmm, new wrinkle. I just realized stuff like the Oppo can also downscale 4K discs to 1080P. I just read a comment over on AVSForum that most new discs are only getting Atmos or DTS:X on the 4K versions. I don't know how correct that is, but since I"m looking at revamping my speakers next year to include an Atmos capable setup I wonder if I should go Oppo anyway and start buying 4K discs instead? Worth it maybe?

The Oppo players are built like tanks and last a long time, so it may be a good investment to go that route. I've used a 203 since it first came out and have never had an issue with it.
    David Vaughn

At this point, it wouldn't really make sense to buy anything other than a 4K player. Your Panasonic may be working great now, but when it goes you will likely be replacing it with a 4K display.

As you know there are a good many options for Blu-ray players, but I can't see myself ever owning anything other than an Oppo for the main theater. Their reliability and timely support of new technologies and bug fixes make Oppo the player for me.

The Oppo players are built like tanks and last a long time, so it may be a good investment to go that route. I've used a 203 since it first came out and have never had an issue with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    At this point, it wouldn't really make sense to buy anything other than a 4K player. Your Panasonic may be working great now, but when it goes you will likely be replacing it with a 4K display.

As you know there are a good many options for Blu-ray players, but I can't see myself ever owning anything other than an Oppo for the main theater. Their reliability and timely support of new technologies and bug fixes make Oppo the player for me.
    Thanks guys, hoping the Panny will last another few years but who knows. Worst case, we've been keeping up the Best Buy geek squad warranty on it each year. I remember when I had my CRT RPTV calibrated by Chuck who used to (I think he moved) work for Lion told me it was recommended to actually get the warranty on the flat panel stuff since if something went pretty much the whole assembly had to be replaced. At this point that would probably mean the whole TV and that would be a nice chunk towards a 4K OLED.

So it sounds like the best choice is go for the Oppo and maybe start buying 4K discs and letting it downscale them for my Panny so I get decent picture and the highest quality audio tracks? That S6700 is very tempting though at roughly $90 vs the Oppo at almost 6x that.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Ok I think I made a decision. Going to go with the Sony X800. That way I can play 4K discs downscaled and get the newest audio, but I'm not paying for cutting edge features (like DV) that I might not use for a long time. Either way it's still going to be a huge upgrade so yeah. Maybe once TV upgrade time happens I can get an Oppo to go with it at that time.