Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

My son and I just got back from seeing this. We both enjoyed it (he did more than I). It was very entertaining, but I felt the humor was a little forced (the audience barely laughed) and there some aspects of the story that really could have been shortened or cut out completely. I'm going to see it again next week with my wife and daughter and see if it grows on me the second time through.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Cool. Will check it out once the crowds go down..
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Please don't tell me that Han is still dead.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    He is, but I'm not sure if he shot first or not
    David Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    My son and I just got back from seeing this. We both enjoyed it (he did more than I). It was very entertaining, but I felt the humor was a little forced (the audience barely laughed) and there some aspects of the story that really could have been shortened or cut out completely. I'm going to see it again next week with my wife and daughter and see if it grows on me the second time through.
    I actually went to sleep during the movie. Really.....not only me but another person that was in our group ...knocked out! It took too long to develop. To me, this is a wait for home release movie at best. Best part of the movie was the final 20 minutes.
    Infinity Composition Prelude P-FR L/R, Infinity Overture 1 center, Front hgts, and side surrounds, Infinity FPS-1000 Rear surround and rear hgt, Acoustic Elegance P1152 subs (x2) SVS 16-46 (x2), (x2) B&K Reference 200.7 power amp, Denon AVR X4300H, Yamaha MX-830, Behringer NU4-6000, 8 core HTPC W/Blu-ray W/Jriver nVidia 1060gtx 6gb,Hybrid tube DAC W/Burson Vivid, Silicondust HDHR3 Prime, TCL 4K 55 inch LCD, Vivitek HK2288 4K Projector

Quote Originally Posted by prerich View Post
    I actually went to sleep during the movie. Really.....not only me but another person that was in our group ...knocked out! It took too long to develop. To me, this is a wait for home release movie at best. Best part of the movie was the final 20 minutes.
    Did you guys go out for a big dinner just before the movie? Food always makes me sleepy especially if I sit still afterward.......and the meal is accompanied by a few glasses of red wine.

I'm seeing it again today with the entire family (my wife and daughter were on a mini-vacation together). The more I think about the movie, the more bothered I am. I'm going to see if a second viewing eliminates some of its faults. While Episode VII wasn't an "original" story, at least it was fun and had compelling characters. Some of those characters are just as interesting in VIII while other's have nothing to do but busy work. In a lot of ways the movie feels like a video game that sends you on some stupid mission that doesn't move the story along, but kept you busy for a while so you weren't just sitting there with your thumb up your ass. When you see the movie, you'll know exactly what I mean.
    David Vaughn

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    David, first off, I am the one who is supposed to review NEW movies but you beat me to the punch here. So I am going to review the 4K blu ray before you!!!!!!!

I saw the movie on opening day, last Friday, in Imax 3D. The 3D was nice at times, but not essential.

I must say, all kidding aside, that I agree with your observations, especially in your final post. I enjoyed the movie, it lagged a bit in the middle, but it was no Empire Strikes Back, or even a New hope. But, thank gosh, it was no Phantom Menace either. In other words, I enjoyed it by was not thrilled by it or surprised by it. I like Star Wars, but would not say I am a big fan of it. So I get a bit bored with long light saber duels.

Some of the scenes with Carrie Fisher broke my heart. To me she looked frail and, as I recall, she was often sitting down a lot. She was not just their princess, but ours too. When I saw the dedication to her, well, that was the most emotional part of the movie to me. May the force be with her, always.
    Last edited by Lefisc; 12-19-2017 at 07:58 PM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Barry,

Saw it again today and you and I are definitely on the same page. There are certain aspects of the movie that I really like (Luke and Ray, for example) and other's that I didn't care for (the splicer story line). I was surprised that I enjoyed it the second time as much as I did, which makes me think the movie is better than I originally thought. As for the tribute, I definitely agree with you there...made me tear up a second time. She was definitely OUR princess.
    David Vaughn

Spoilers!!!!! Below!!!!! Spoilers!!!!!

Havent seen it a second time yet. the first time was in a Dolby Cinema, i was so tense my back hurt when i went to get up at the end. but that was my fault, trying to watch objectively and not letting myself just get into the story. last time i do that on a first viewing. too hard for me, too much of a fan.

Overall i enjoyed what Johnson did. wasnt predictable or a re-hash like Awakens (which i thoroughly enjoyed). luke tossing the lightsaber meant all bets were off.

where was this going? how are the rebels going to overcome the first order without their only hope, the last jedi.

kylo, not such a fool, realized he was a mere pawn to Snoke, this took Vader til Ep. VI to figure out, took action in a move, NO ONE could have predicted.

so much going on. questions answered, many more asked and the fandom wasnt ok with that. i was.

did it go political. yep. but then star wars has always been political. while watching the scene where the rich and powerful go play and seeing the hypocrisy of those who gain from others misery, the story of children used to care for the animals used for racing is pulled straight from a true story of child slaves used to race camels in the United Arab Emirates, look it up.

the scene felt forced at first, no pun intended, but wrapped up nicely by the ending.

the fandom has been critical, but i think it was necessary to break from the Skywalker's and the Solo's and go back to roots of Lucas' story, which is anyone can be a hero/rebel/jedi.

i asked my son what his favorite part in the movie was, my 13 year old son said it was when Princess Leia (she will always be Princess Leia to me) used the force and floated back to the ship. damn if something got in my eyes and caused a lump in my throat when he said that.