Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OLED vs. LED?

OLED vs. LED?

Soooooo, was at Best Buy randomly today demo'ing some speakers and looking for last minute gifts and the guy running the Magnolia section (not a Design Studio just the regular magnolia section) happened to be a regional manager or something like that and actually seemed to know what he was talking about vs. random min wage worker you typically run into.

One thing that caught me off guard was when I mentioned having plasma and holding out for OLED to come down in price a bit he mentioned he also was a big fan of plasma for the same reasons (black levels, etc.) but he actually thinks the non-OLED is a better choice and also mentioned the prices likely aren't going to change much just features are going to increase and size options. Not sure how accurate that last bit is. He was telling me though that apparently OLED crushes black detail where the regular LED does not and the current LED backlight tech is much improved from a few year ago?

I'm really not sure what to make of that? I had thought OLED was going to be the next step for me but now I'm wondering if I should go with an LED 4K instead? I'm not planning to upgrade my VT60 anytime soon but on the off chance I ran across something on sale or in the midst of my speaker revamp next year I decide to go "whole hog" and just do it all I guess it would be good to know which way to go. What are you guys' thoughts?
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT series satellites/center
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch
    Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR

Just to clarify when I said he was a big fan of plasma I mean he actually owned one of the higher end ones and then switched to the 4K LED. He did say there's things he misses but he thinks overall the 4K LED he has is a much better experience and that for 4K it's the way to go vs. OLED.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch

I would disagree 100%. While one could make an argument that LED is a better value, OLED is overall a better picture IMO.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I was surprised about him saying OLED's couldn't handle the dark shadow detail as well though and crushed the detail in those areas. Is that not the case?
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch

LED and the backlighting they employ on the better displays have gotten better. I remember buying my first LED. Although it wasn't a first generation, the backlighting certainly isn't as seamless as the latest technology that utilizes multiple independently controlled zones with drastically improved image quality.

That being said, OLED has produced the best image quality that I have seen to date.

Quote Originally Posted by cpaluda View Post
    I was surprised about him saying OLED's couldn't handle the dark shadow detail as well though and crushed the detail in those areas. Is that not the case?
    If not calibrated properly, that would be the case with any display technology. LED's have the advantage of greater peak brightness (depending on the model), but they can't touch the black levels of OLED, which gives OLED's the contrast advantage.
    David Vaughn

Ok thanks for the info. Sounds like I'll probably still be looking at OLED then

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch

I m uat say, having a Plasma, an LED and the LG OLED 65 inch 4k that the OLED is the very best. That was just one salesman's opinion, who may be trying to steer you in a direction better for him, commision or saleswise. No, I don;t have any scientific tests, but my eyes show me how much better the OLED is. Read Consumer Reports, they agree too
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    I m uat say, having a Plasma, an LED and the LG OLED 65 inch 4k that the OLED is the very best. That was just one salesman's opinion, who may be trying to steer you in a direction better for him, commision or saleswise. No, I don;t have any scientific tests, but my eyes show me how much better the OLED is. Read Consumer Reports, they agree too
    Barry, but does your seeing eye dog agree with you
    David Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Barry, but does your seeing eye dog agree with you
    Is he ISF Certified?