I bought my very first 4K player

My Sony BluRay player, BDP-360 is dieing a slow death. It takes multiple retries to get it to read blurays. I was given a $50 Amazon gift card for Christmas. I also noticed a $100 discount of Sony's 4K player, a UBP-X800 on Amazon. With taxes in I snagged one for $176 CDN. I've had my old Sony for a long LONG time and it owes me nothing anymore.

Main System/Second System
    AVR Yamaha RX-V1800/Yamaha RX-V1500
    Turntable ProJect Xpression III with Ortofon Red
    Cassette Deck Yamaha KX-800U/
    Yamaha KX-800U
    BluRay/CD Yamaha BD-S681/Sony UBP-X800
    Media Player Iomega + 1TB internal drive/WD TV Live Plus + 3TB USB drive
    Display Samsung UN65KU6491 65"/UN55MU7000 55"
    Speakers PSB Image T-45/Alphas Front, PSB Image 8C/100C Center, PSB Image 1B/RBH A600 Surrounds
    Subwoofer Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 5

When you get it, give a quick rundown of how it works out for you. I've heard good things about the Sony.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Nice score. I am interested in hearing your thoughts when it comes in and you get a chance to give it a spin.

Good news is that it will also play SACD, DVD-Audio, and play FLAC files so your music collection is covered as well.

I expect in on Jan 2 and I will need a couple of weeks to kick its tires before I can report back.
    Yamaha KX-800U
    Speakers PSB Image T-45/Alphas Front, PSB Image 8C/100C Center, PSB Image 1B/RBH A600 Surrounds

I wired it into my secondary system with it replacing the old Sony BDP-S360. The unit is relatively heavy and feels very solid in build. Its too early for me to say how this unit will do but so far so good. The breathy haunting vocals of The Cowboy Junkie's Maro Timmins was conveyed accurately as was the rest of the instrumentation. The soundstage was very detailed with instruments well placed.

I did play the original Blade Runner on BLURAY which is a very dark movie with lots of night and dark scenes. Black resolution was excellent in these providing great detail in even the dark scenes with good shadow detail.

I don't own any 4K discs as of yet but I will remedy this situation in the near future.

(I forgot to add this)

This player is equipped with the "Grace Notes" App so when I play a CD, it displays the album cover, tracklist, and name of songs. Its really kind of cool. I had to turn on the app as its default is off.
    Yamaha KX-800U

Quote Originally Posted by 3dbinCanada View Post
    This player is equipped with the "Grace Notes" App so when I play a CD, it displays the album cover, tracklist, and name of songs. Its really kind of cool. I had to turn on the app as its default is off.
    It is a nice feature. My Oppo does this at too, at least with digital music files on the attached hard drive. I can't remember if I have played a standard CD on it since I like my two-channel setup for two-channel music. I'll have to give it a shot.