Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

I am not going to CES for the first time in 24 years (and I am not the only one)

I am not going to CES for the first time in 24 years.

Last year I sent Adrienne, Dennis and myself to see what was clearly NOT our show anymore. The "Consumer Electronics Assc" is now the CTA "Consumer Technology Assc" meaning that they are focused away from AV and more on to Internet of Things hair brushes, driverless cars, drones more than 4K video, high performance audio, home theater and beyond. Sad.

My first CES was the LAST one at the Sahara Bi-level which was truly old-school "rat pack" audiophile-tactic. I loved it. Working at Christopher Hansen Ltd. I drove from work in LA to our family house in Scottsdale and then flew back to Philly for the Holiday. I was a Freshman at USC and 6 hours in the car somehow made sense. I flew back to AZ and then drove to Vegas from there. I stayed at Circus, Circus which was a stunning dump then but the show was SUPER FUN. Literally, everyone was there. Everything you wanted to hear was on display. Deals were getting done. It was great. The future looked up.

CES now doesn't attract many US dealers like it used to. The cost is sky high. I paid $275 per night per room for my staff to stay at Excallibur (their choice - not mine). I was lucky enough to get "comped" at The Mirage but GONE was B&W's Joe Atkins and his cadre of A-list industry people chatting it up at the bar in the high roller room in the Mirage. 150m sale of your company will do that, I guess.

One of the biggest issues with CES other than its gross size and lack of focus anymore is: THE FLU. Influenza in California is a major issue right now and with 180,000 people going to CES for a weekday show from 180 different countries at peak flu season - you've got a mess on your hands. Many wear masks. They aren't as crazy as I used to think they were. I came home after one day last year with a 102.5 fever and strep throat. Cute.

Gary Shapiro needs to break the show up into smaller pieces for it to regain relevance despite the mainstream media attention that it gets being huge. I don't see that happening.

Dennis Burger sent me this article by Al Griffin from SoundStage.com about his experience with CES which is VERY CLOSE to mine. Read it here.

I've never been (shocking, I know), but it just happens to occur at the WORST time of the year for my day job. January is probably my biggest month with sales planning, budgets, performance reviews, and other back office duties that just doesn't allow me to get away. I don't feel like I'm missing much and I agree with Jerry that with so many people in one place at one time, you're bound to get sick!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

The flu aspect alone would make me stay home. I had the flu last year for the first time since 1986 and thought I was going to die.

The flu outbreak is SO BAD in California right now that its hard to imagine what will happen in Vegas next week.

My wife's very dear friend is an exec at a hospital nearby. She's not a doctor or a nurse but she know's what's what and they've had her in to help as the ER is so packed with FLU patients.

Scary.

....and they say that this year's vaccine is only about 10% effective. It's not encouraging, especially when you deal with the public like I do.

We had a visitation last week with about 300 people "in the house". It was wall-to-wall and people spilling out into the parking lot waiting to get in. "Luckily", I was at the chiropractor that evening. Although I don't like going, I like the flu even less.

Jerry,

May add a side note to your post?

As you know for a long time, my hobbies include collecting comic books and writing about them. There are two big “Comic-Conns” each year, the biggest in San Diego in August and another in NY in October.

They are worthless now, to me. They are no longer about comic books or theior creators. In fact, the comic book dealers, the few that show up to pay huge fees, are pusahed to the back.

It’s about movies ….not just comic book movies. But anything even remotely sci-fi, or having a star that was once in a sci fi movies. Why is Murder on the Orient Express, there?

It’s about TV shows. Why is Twin Peaks there? Star Trek is not a comic, it was there.

Itgs been taken over by celebrities and the media. It is no fun for me.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Jerry,

May add a side note to your post?

As you know for a long time, my hobbies include collecting comic books and writing about them. There are two big “Comic-Conns” each year, the biggest in San Diego in August and another in NY in October.

They are worthless now, to me. They are no longer about comic books or their creators. In fact, the comic book dealers, the few that show up to pay huge fees, are pushed to the back.

It’s about movies ….not just comic book movies. But anything even remotely sci-fi, or having a star that was once in a sci fi movies. Why is Murder on the Orient Express, there?

It’s about TV shows. Why is Twin Peaks there? Star Trek is not a comic, it was there.

Itgs been taken over by celebrities and the media. It is no fun for me.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Not surprised based on what you said about last years CES. But you're gonna miss out on all those 8K TVs. Because we need more K's.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Adrienne is back and she says this was her last CES.

We have two featured news stories about it pending. Likely to run next week. I did one on "When Did CES Jump The Shark" that I finished yesterday.

j

I guess I can wait for the article(s), but Jerry I'm curious if after seeing the coverage, was there something you had wished you had been there for and able to see for yourself?

Here's one of the many CES roundup lists I saw: http://time.com/5100244/best-ces-201...ctronics-show/

The only thing that jumps out at me is "The Wall":

...but it also makes no sense.

Can't imagine who this is for (and this is assuming its ever even intending for the general public, or not just a "wow, look what we can do" concept.)

I do like the name, though...

Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.