Crooked House (Blu-ray) review

Name:  crooked.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  30.6 KB

Plot
    In Agatha Christie’s most twisted tale, the suspicious circumstances surrounding the death of a wealthy patriarch is investigated by spy-turned-private-detective Charles Hayward (Max Irons), who is lured by his former lover to catch her grandfather’s murderer before Scotland Yard exposes dark family secrets. On the sprawling estate, amidst a poisonous atmosphere of bitterness, resentment and jealousy in a truly crooked house, Hayward encounters three generations of the dynasty, including a theater actress (Gillian Anderson), the old man’s widow 50 years his junior (Christina Hendricks), and the family matriarch Lady Edith de Haviland (Glenn Close).

Based on the book by Agatha Christie, CROOKED HOUSE was directed by Gilles Paquet-Brenner from a screenplay by Julian Fellowes, Tim Rose Price and Gilles Paquet-Brenner. The film was produced by James Spring, Sally Wood and Joe Abrams and executive produced by Paul B. Edgerley, Tim Smith, James Swarbrick, John Story, Stewart Peter, Anders Erdén, Jay Firestone, Phil Hunt, Compton Ross, Sunny Vohra, Andrew Boswell, Will Machin, Natalie Brenner and Lisa Wolofsky.

My Thoughts
    Based on the book by Agatha Christie with a screenplay by Julian Fellowes, Tim Rose Price and Gilles Paquet-Brenner, I had decent expectations going into this one. Sadly, it isn’t very good at all. The character development is extremely lacking and frankly, I couldn’t get into the mystery one bit. Both my wife and I nodded off at different times because the prose was so bland and the story uninteresting.

Video 4.5/5 (AVC)

Audio 4/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• Agatha Christie: A Timeless Fascination
    • Whodunnit?
    • The Characters of Crooked House
    • Elegance & Innovation: The Design of Crooked House

Conclusion
    Wow…what a stinker! Maybe we were too tired when we sat down to watch this, but to say we didn’t like it would be an understatement. The best aspect of the production are the locations and the costumes, which really don’t mean anything if you can’t get into the story. If you’re a fan of mysteries, maybe you’d like to give this one a rental given it’s 63% on Rottentomatoes.com, but my wife and I would definitely side with the 37%!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Greetings,

Thanks Dave. Yeah, I opted out on covering this one. Glad I did!
    Regards,

Ralph C.Potts
    AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine