Do you fancy yourself a DJ or Music Producer? Me neither, but DropMix takes aspects of both and combines them into a game that looks like a lot of fun.

DropMix takes popular songs and splits them into the individual instrument tracks. For example, one track might be the vocals, one for guitars, percussion, keyboards and so on. Then, you can mix the individual instrument tracks from different songs, into one. The software automatically matches the key and tempo.

Dennis explains the basics.

The base game comes with an electronic playing board and sixty playing cards with NFC chips imbedded inside, each of which contains one musical thread from a pop, rock, electronica, or hip-hop classic from the past few decades. Your hand might consist of the horn line from Cake's "Short Skirt Long Jacket," lead vocals from the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back," the drums from Run DMC's "It's Tricky," guitar from Rick James' "Super Freak," and a wild card containing your choice of instruments from "Bangarang" by Skrillex. Along with your draw pile of 25 other cards, you face an opponent with 30 unique musical threads, and you take turns laying down tracks in specific color-coded spots on the board, scoring points accordingly. You can play 1-on-1, 2-on-2, or even in a party mode where the rules are a little looser. No matter how you play, you generate a fascinatingly distinctive musical soundtrack that's all tempo- and key-matched every time you do.
Here's a cool video going over the gameplay.

Even though I'm not a huge fan of the music used in the demo, Dennis explains that there are expansion packs that are from different genres.

I think it could be a pretty fun game. Read the entire review at