Roman J. Israel, ESQ. (Blu-ray) review

Name:  Roman.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  24.6 KB

Plot
    ROMAN J. ISRAEL, ESQ. is a dramatic thriller set in the overburdened Los Angeles criminal court system. Denzel Washington stars as a driven, idealistic defense attorney whose life is suddenly disrupted. When he is recruited to join a firm led by an ambitious lawyer George Pierce (Colin Farrell) – and begins a friendship with a young champion of equal rights (Carmen Ejogo), a turbulent series of events ensue that will put the activism that has defined Roman’s career to the test.

My Thoughts
    I’m a huge fan of Washington and will watch anything he stars in. In this case, he carries the production and takes a middling and somewhat confusing screenplay and makes it watchable. In less capable hands, I would have probably turned it off. His quirky behavior is both sad and funny at the same time and although I appreciated the activist message of the film, I didn’t fully buy into the narrative.

Video 4.5/5 (AVC)

Audio 4/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• Denzel Washington becoming Roman
    • The Making of Roman J. Israel, ESQ.
    • Colin Farrell: Discovering George
    • 8 Deleted Scenes
    • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
    While not my favorite Denzel role, he does deliver the goods and definitely deserved his Golden Globe nomination for Best Actor in this portrayal of a socially awkward attorney. It’s very much like a fish out of water tale showing how Israel is able to right his life after the traumatic death of his law partner, but it’s not something I can see myself watching more than once, so a rental may be the way to go if you’re on the fence.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Thanks for the review. I am a fan of Denzel so will check it out as a rental.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Quote Originally Posted by TrippleJ View Post
    Thanks for the review. I am a fan of Denzel so will check it out as a rental.
    Me too. Denzel is one of the few celebrities that I think would be interesting and humble enough to sit down for a conversation. Or, at least it seems like he would. You know how actors are.

Yeah, him and Tom Hanks, I think are very people people.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.