Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Toluca Lake, CA
    Posts
    27


    Mits M-S3391 vs. Philips CS-5700 D Comparison

    Some backstory: my ancient Onkyo 5.1 receiver stopped working (lost a surround channel.) My equally ancient Samsung DLP just died a few weeks ago (R.I.P., brother) and I purchased an LG OLED that I'm very happy with. My Onkyo was 'fine for the time being' until it broke. I don't want to rush out and get a new system until I can put in the work to properly research (Atmos? handle 4K? etc etc..), but when I went to get my receiver repaired, they happened to have an old Harman Karmon ARV 3600 7.1 system for $125. So I got that as a stop gap until I can research a whole new surround system.

    My question: the place where I got my 'new' receiver also had some old 'front channel' speakers that I think would be an upgrade on my Onkyo speakers. I figured I could buy a pair, and then move my current Front pair to the Surround channels and be able to enjoy the 7.1 and finally experience living in 2010. The two options are: Mits M-S3391 ($125) and Philips CS-5700 D ($95.)
    I've searched online but can't find really anything at all on either of these.

    I don't know if these are decent or crap, or if they'd be worth even a hundred bucks, but if they are it would be nice to know if one had an edge on the other.

    Thanks for any input anyone might have on these dinosaurs!

  2. #2
    Senior Member David Vaughn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Northern, CA
    Posts
    13,704


    I wouldn't waste my money on either of those. If you want good speakers that won't break the bank, check out RSL speakers. Arguably the best bang for your buck you can buy: https://rslspeakers.com/
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

  3. #3


    Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    I wouldn't waste my money on either of those. If you want good speakers that won't break the bank, check out RSL speakers. Arguably the best bang for your buck you can buy: https://rslspeakers.com/
    I have heard good things from various reviews of RSL speakers. I know that HomeTheaterReview.com and Sound & Vision have both revied them with extremely positive reviews.

    Here's Brent Butterworth's review. https://hometheaterreview.com/rogers...stem-reviewed/

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Toluca Lake, CA
    Posts
    27


    Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    I wouldn't waste my money on either of those. If you want good speakers that won't break the bank, check out RSL speakers. Arguably the best bang for your buck you can buy: https://rslspeakers.com/
    Thanks, those look great. Any opinion on whether the difference between the CG3/CG4, CG23/CG24, and Speedwoofer 10S/Speedwoofer 10 Analog Subwoofer is worth paying for? It's a pretty big difference. Their website has the specs for the CG3/CG23/Speedwoofer 10S but not the CG4/2CG4/Speedwoofer 10 Analog Subwoofer so I'm not sure how to compare them.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Toluca Lake, CA
    Posts
    27


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    I have heard good things from various reviews of RSL speakers. I know that HomeTheaterReview.com and Sound & Vision have both revied them with extremely positive reviews.

    Here's Brent Butterworth's review. https://hometheaterreview.com/rogers...stem-reviewed/
    Thanks, Tracy. I was responding to David when you posted that. I'll definitely check out that review.

  6. #6
    Senior Member David Vaughn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Northern, CA
    Posts
    13,704


    Quote Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
    Thanks, those look great. Any opinion on whether the difference between the CG3/CG4, CG23/CG24, and Speedwoofer 10S/Speedwoofer 10 Analog Subwoofer is worth paying for? It's a pretty big difference. Their website has the specs for the CG3/CG23/Speedwoofer 10S but not the CG4/2CG4/Speedwoofer 10 Analog Subwoofer so I'm not sure how to compare them.
    The Speedwoofer 10s is very good. I reviewed it for Sound & Vision and kept it for my secondary system. As for their other speaker combos, I'd email them and ask. They provide great advice and service.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Toluca Lake, CA
    Posts
    27


    Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    The Speedwoofer 10s is very good. I reviewed it for Sound & Vision and kept it for my secondary system. As for their other speaker combos, I'd email them and ask. They provide great advice and service.
    I just sent them an email. They're closed tomorrow, but I'll update this thread if I hear anything useful back. The 4 series 7.1 system would be ~$1,100 more than the 3, so it will definitely be interesting to find out how much difference there is between them.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Toluca Lake, CA
    Posts
    27


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Despite being a Sunday, RSL wrote me back already. I've copied their response below. Seems like a great company.
    I'm leaning towards one of these packages. For where I'm at right now, they seem like great options. Time to check out receivers! My placeholder, I realized, does not support 4K so I will need to upgrade my receiver sooner than later as well.

    RSL Response:
    "Hi Steve,

    Thanks for writing us.

    Here are the specs for the CG4 line (scroll to the bottom of each page):

    CG4 - https://rslspeakers.com/products/rsl...shelf-speaker/
    CG24 - https://rslspeakers.com/products/rsl...enter-channel/
    Speedwoofer 10 Ultimate: https://rslspeakers.com/products/rsl-speedwoofer-10/

    The CG4 line is the original speaker line that we introduced in 2010. The CG3 line is our newest. Due to the popularity of the CG4 line, we decided to make a similar line of speakers that would offer nearly the same performance, but at a lower price point. While the performance is very similar, the CG4 speakers offer heavier-duty parts and a slightly more detailed and open soundstage.

    The CG4 line of speakers is currently no longer in production. It will be replaced by a larger speaker line later this year. If you're looking for a small set of speakers that offer a very large, dynamic presentation; and can extreme power to fill large spaces, the CG4 speakers would be a great grab before they're gone.

    If you don’t need to fill a large space, nor do you listen at near-deafening volumes, the CG3 line will provide amazing imaging, dynamics, and detail.

    Best Regards-

    Joe Rodgers
    RSL SPEAKERS | A Division of Rogersound Labs, LLC"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Luxury Publishing Group Inc.
15332 Antioch Street | Pacific Palisades, CA 90272 | 310.860.9988
©2011 Luxury Publishing Group. All Rights Reserved
For our Privacy Poliicy, ad specs and contact
info please click here