2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

A non spoiler review of the Black Panther

A non spoiler review of the Black Panther.

As with Dr. Strange, the Black Panther movie looks like nothing the Marvel Universe has given us before. This is an original, often thought provoking movie. As I mentioned before, the Black Panther was created by two Jewish guys, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby (who get screen credit) in 1966 in Fantastic Four #52. Brought to life here, most of this origin movie takes place in the African Kingdom of Wakanda. I give the movie 3.5 out of 4 stars.

Lee and Kirby also introduced the idea that from a distance Wakanda looked like a third world country, but in reality, because they sat on the only deposit of the miracle metal Vibranium, they were the most advanced and technological society on Earth. (By the way, Captain Americaís shield was made of Vibranium.)

The movie picks up a week or two after Captain America Civil War ends. TíChalla father, the King of Wakanda was murdered and now TíChalla must take his throne. The villain Killmonger, challenges TíChalla for the throne.

In Avengers Age of Ultron, we are introduced to the villain, Klaw and saw his arm removed. Introduced originally in Fantastic Four #53, Klaw was the monstrous master of sound and also had an arm removed. Jack Kirby based the character on Ahab from Moby Dick. He starts out as the main villain, trying to steal some valuable Vibranium.

An important aside: I believe in democracy. Yet in comics, TíChalla, The Sub-Mariner and Aquaman are monarchs and serve through an heredity line. This is what we fought against in the Revolutionary war, but we accept it here because we know these are good guys. However, there is never a discussion of schools, minimum wage or garbage pickup. And, of course, if anyone wants the throne they are the bad guy.

Chadwick Boseman is wonderful and perfect for the Panther and Michael B. Jordan is also good as Killmonger. I wondered how good the movie would be if the roles were reversed. Another unique feature of the movie is that the soldiers, guards etc are all played by bald, but powerful women. There are several scenes with Andy Serkis (Klaw) and Martin Freeman (Token white guy). They were in the Lord of the Rings movie together.

There is a lot of action in the movie, all impossible, and a lot of what a James Bond movie would look like is Bond was an African prince. One of the most interesting ideas is the goals that Killmonger has. They are actually, in the beginning, worthwhile and important. Then he becomes a super-villain.

The Surround sound was very effective, but the only thing I didnít really like was the loud musical soundtrack.

Name:  Jungle Action 7 splash.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  101.0 KB
    Name:  Jungle Action 8 spalsh.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  99.0 KB
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Nice, thanks for the review and I really appreciate the non-spoiler part. I am wanting to see this one but will wait for it to be released on a physical disc, as always. If it compares to the fresh visual aspect you mention in Dr. Strange, I'm sure I will like it.

I am always the last to see new movies. As a matter of fact, I FINALLY watched Guardians of the Galaxy last night. I bought the movie on Blu-ray and totally forgot about it. So, last night I was bored and was going to re-watch something and there it was sitting on the shelf with the other movies.

Hopefully, I won't wait three years to see Black Panther. Yes, I am behind the times.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Thanks Barry for the review. Glad you enjoyed the movie. I plan on checking it out in a few weeks in the theater once the crowds go down..
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Quote Originally Posted by TrippleJ View Post
    Thanks Barry for the review. Glad you enjoyed the movie. I plan on checking it out in a few weeks in the theater once the crowds go down..
    Wow, lots of high praise reviews but sorry. This is the dullest movie I've ever seen. Ever.

Why would you say it is the dullest? Any examples?
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Quote Originally Posted by TrippleJ View Post
    Why would you say it is the dullest? Any examples?
    Well, to me it was a movie of dialog. Talk talk talk talk. But the characters never really became "alive" to me. It was hard to care what anyone was doing because the movie didn't make you want to know them, like for example Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen in Superman.

Then the fight scenes are mostly without "super powers" and odd.

I don't know, I will go to the sequel because I'm a fan of comic book movies, but I hope it brings some excitement and better character development next time.

With everyone else giving the movie rave reviews maybe I need to watch it again when it comes out on rent.

Plus, it may help me to re-read Barry's informative post again before I do.

Black Panther was very OK. One thing that really stood out as a positive was we finally get a MCU villain that isn't a random monster or just someone shoved into the 2nd act we're supposed to hate all of the sudden because there needs to be a final battle scene. Michael B Jordan nailed the performance as well.

The rest was super inconsistent, and I thought Black Panther himself was just flat and boring.

But the biggest issue I had: terrible visual effects. This is a (supposedly) a $200m superhero movie and looks awful. The design of the world and vehicles, etc. was great. Too bad they were rendered so poorly. The greenscreen shots looked incredibly unconvincing and the FX when he's in the suit were par ith Raimi's first Spider-Man movie. Cut from the real actors to videogame characters that moved like Gumby.

At the very least I expect these MCU to have amazing FX and stunts but this flick did not measure up. Deadpool cost $60m and looked as good or better.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

"Gumby" yeah, thanks Brandon.