Bad News on The New Roxy Music Box

I borrowed this from a friend. Here's the scoop; unfortunately most of it is not good.

The good:

The previously unreleased music on cd's 2 & 3 is great.

The not so good:

1. This shocked me: The dvd is NOT lossless. It is NOT HDMA. You get Wilson's 5.1 mix in your choice of vanilla 1536 LOSSY DTS (My Oppo does show 96k; VLC & other pc based players show 1536 which is lossy; & the disc menu does not state HDMA) or LOSSY Dolby. There is no 24 bit lossless option. No 2.0 PCM. Has a Wilson mix ever not been issued in lossless before? Here's hoping for the legal download sites to save the day.

2. As has been pointed out on Amazon, this is missing Wilson's 2.0 mix

3. It is missing the related B-side The Numberer; both Wilson's remix & the original.

4. The cd's are brickwalled; in order they are DR7, DR8 & DR9. (Surprisingly Bob Ludwig did cd #1; he must have been under strict instructions to make it LOUD). Someone named Frank Arkwright did discs 2 & 3.

For what they're charging, replacing the dvd with a LOSSLESS blu-ray with all the Wilson mixes in 96/24 would at least have been throwing a bone to their fans.

I don't currently have a turntable, so no comments there. And the videos....... there's a lot of these out there on official EU releases, though they are enjoyable.
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 03-03-2018 at 01:08 AM.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Roxy (one of my fav 70's bands) is cursed. I bought the entire Japan SACD series a couple years back, & most of them just plain don't sound very good.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

I just did an a-b between the new DE, The Japan SACD, & The complete studio box set cd

I would rank them in this order; though one caveat: Virginia Plain is included on both the DE versions; & is not on either the SACD or the Complete box; though it is on the rarities cd in the complete box (which is oop & listed for a small fortune on Amazon).

1. Japan SACD (I do remember that some of this series sounded good & some sounded bad; this is obviously one of the better ones)

2. Complete Studio Recordings CD: To my surprise either the mastering or the fact it's true lossless though only 16 bit made a huge difference

3. DTS DVD from the DE 5.1 down mixed to 2.0: The downmix wasn't too bad. Either the mastering (there is a mastering engineer; unlike most Wilson remix's, this one was messed with) or the lossy DTS actually made a Wilson DVD remix sound worse than some one else's cd....... freakin unbelievable. They should be ashamed of this set. Though not at all compressed (DR 14 in fact based on net postings) It's bright, lacking the depth of the SACD & the clarity of the lossless versions

4. And the worst version by a mile is the Ludwig cd from the DE. The ONLY thing it has going for it is Virginia Plain's inclusion (which should have been on the Japanese SACD). It gives loud a bad name. Fortunately I have the Best Of SACD, which is ok & includes Virginia Plain.

Final thoughts:

This is a HUGE disappointment from one of my favorite bands. It's probably worth spending $13 on the 2 cd version to get the BBC cd. The DVD is a waste unless you have a really poor quality 5.1 system & you love 5.1. A high quality 5.1 system will likely disappoint; the mastering is that bad. If you're a completest (I kind of am) is it worth the extra $50-$125 for the Demos cd?
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 03-04-2018 at 10:27 PM.