No, I don't want to listen to this first, or listen to this now. (to audio sales guy)

No.

I don't want to listen to "this" (Diana Krall, random jazz recording, classical acoustic guitar...) BEFORE, or AFTER I demo these speakers.

I want to listen to my what I listen to (including Megadeth, Eagles of Death Metal, Rock Candy Funk Party, SRV), on these speakers, at pretty loud listening levels. I don't want to be judged for it, and I certainly don't want to know how "great" this speaker measures.

I don't want to be asked - "do you really listen that loud?"

I don't wan't to be told - "you should hear how they sound with THIS recording, female voices are ..."

If I want to hear female voices, I want to hear Stevie Nicks, in all her full late 70's early 80's coked out, sexy, rough voice glory. Or maybe, if I am in a reflective, sentimental mood I'll play Landslide. I am after all the father of 4 girls and now have a sensitive side. (I digress, back to my Megadeth and Volbeat)

If I want to hear Classical or Flamenco style guitar, I'll listen to my (still shitty sounding after remastering) copy of Diver Down with EVH playing it, and then I'll listen to Little Guitars after that, probably at a level louder than you want.

If I want to hear excellent musical technicians - I'll listen to the 3 guys from Canada play La Villa Strangiato. I don't need to hear your 3 guys play jazz guitar and bass. I'll let Geddy kick their ass on his Fender Jazz Bass.

I don't want to feel guilty about it in your store, and I don't want to have you tell me the speakers sound better with a better recording.

I get a little worried for a hobby I love when I'm then told "I'm afraid you are a bit younger than our typical client". (I'm 45, and that should worry YOU a lot more than it worries ME). Unless that was your way of saying because I had on a t-shirt, old jeans and hoodie you thought I was just kicking tires.

I don't wan't to be told if I listened to this system with Vinyl, that it would sound (fill in the adverb) better.

I don't wan't to be told, well, the reason there is no bass is that they play accurate bass, you are just used to inaccurate bass. (No, the reason these speakers have no bass is because they have 5 six inch drivers but the speakers look great in their narrow cabinet that you are driving with a single ended triode, when these SOB's need 300 watts of iron to drive the ever living bejesus out of them as I want to do).

... ok so I may fill in more of the story later. But dear high-end, arrogant, audio store owner, you can... and then when you go out of business feel free to blame it on the internet.
    Last edited by green giant; 03-03-2018 at 11:42 AM.

It sounds like it's not the kind of store that I want to shop at.

Not everyone likes the same music or has the same listening habits or preferences. Move on if they aren't willing to listen to you, the dude in their store with some cash to spend.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

Yikes.

Holy Crap Green. I didn't realize you were so freaking radically intensely hard core!!.......

"It's better to burn out than fade away".........

Internet-based speaker companies like GoldenEar, RSL, SVS, Tekton, and others won't question your listening preferences and many of them offer an in-home demo period.

Given your listening preferences, maybe look at

• GoldenEar Triton II+ or higher
    • SVS Prime or Ultra Towers
    • Tekton Pendragon or Double Impact

More to the story...

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Internet-based speaker companies like GoldenEar, RSL, SVS, Tekton, and others won't question your listening preferences and many of them offer an in-home demo period.

Given your listening preferences, maybe look at

• GoldenEar Triton II+ or higher
    • SVS Prime or Ultra Towers
    • Tekton Pendragon or Double Impact

Ok,

The first post really is a summary of comments I have heard over the past couple of years as I go around and demo speakers. I constantly seem to hear some of the same comments over and over. Every once in a while I will get lucky in a store where the guys listen to rock, and don't mind turning it up. The last month though, I have been doing some serious demoing, and I've heard a few again.

Of course I don't listen to metal all the time. I listen to a lot of standard fare classic rock, the same recordings we all likely have (Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac). I listen to a lot of blues, late 60's - today's rock. Of course I own Hotel California, in Hi-Res even. Last night I was listening to remastered Billy Joel Hi-Res stuff.

But in many stores and even a couple MFG I've had the pleasure of demoing at. I find many times seem to have them try to pick some tracks for me. I'm also asked if I listen that loud a lot (88-95 dbs, and yes I do).

While I listen at lower levels, where I tend to discover issues with a speaker is when it's turned up, and when something dynamic, loud, challenging is played. Frankly, many Metal groups like Megadeth, or even something like Porcupine Tree really allows me to hear the issues. (brightness, compression etc).

While I value imaging, I tend to value dynamics and a larger sound stage more. I also find it difficult at times to find a dynamic speaker that is not harsh.

Trying out and changing speakers is part of the fun of the hobby for me. (I've had a number the past 5 years... Golden Ear, Klipsch, Salk, NHT, JBL, DynAudio). I'm sure I'll try and change more here and there.

My frustration comes when a sales person really tries to tell me why I don't like a speaker, etc. When I went to Axpona a couple years back many companies wouldn't really let me play what I wanted to listen to, but yet when I got them to put it in - the room filled up.

When you walk around shows, I do realize at 45 - I'm on the younger end of the attendees. That should really, really worry the industry. I have more thoughts on that, maybe I'll post them here in time. Jerry has hit on many of the issues over the past few years in his editorials.
    Last edited by green giant; 03-05-2018 at 08:30 AM.